Paint edges.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

Before our ceiling got painted, I stuck masking tape all the way around the room at the top of the walls so that the paint doesn't go onto the walls. When the ceiling had been painted and I removed the tape, the paint on the edge of the ceiling just stretched like latex. It was only about 2mm most of the way around the room so I patted it back into place, which seemed to have done the trick as it stuck back to the wall straight away. After a while, the edges which were pressed started peeling away again and now, it looks like paper that is peeling away at the edges. I didn't removed the tape right after the ceiling had been painted; I waited until I thought it had dried enough, but no too much so that the tape would rip when trying to pull it off.

My questions are-

1) How do I fix this?

2) What did I do wrong and how should I do it in future?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
use a paint scraper or sandpaper to fix the edges, as for preventing it next time, cut in withou using masking tape but the masking tape slightly lower down on the wall and remove it immediately after painting

Wow, that was quick!

If I scrape it off, do I just paint over it again? If so, will the new paint be noticeable?

What does 'cut in without using masking tape' mean?

I did stick the tape slightly lower to start with; maybe 1-2mm. Should I go lower than this?

Thanks for the reply.

Wow, that was quick!

1 If I scrape it off, do I just paint over it again? If so, will the new paint be noticeable?

2 What does 'cut in without using masking tape' mean?

3 I did stick the tape slightly lower to start with; maybe 1-2mm. Should I go lower than this?

Thanks for the reply.

1 coz it's new paint so long as you do it the same thickness you won't notice a difference

2 cut in without masking tape means do the edges without masking tape

3 probably not, just remove it right after painting

Sponsored Links
Hi mo2.

It's been a few months since it was painted so it's not newly painted.

Thanks for the suggestion of removing the tape while the paint is still wet. Just out of curiosity though, if I were to cut in, how would I prevent the paint from getting onto the walls?

Thanks.

take it slowly and carefully with a brush or paint pad

If it's only been a few months and its the ceiling(no dirt) i dont think there will be a major difference in the colour, but check first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back