Different colours on different walls - sharp edge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We want a feature colour (dark colour) on one wall and a light colour on the walls at 90 degrees to it.

Whats the best way to get a nice sharp edge on the dark colour as the walls join. Masking tape? or is there another way as in the past I've used masking tape only to peel it off and it has taken the paint off the wall that I've jsut painted!

Sponsored Links
Paint the light wall first with a slight overlap then use a decent brush - I prefer about 3" wide - to cut in to the light wall with the darker paint. Draw the brush down in long strokes, don't dab at it as that will make an uneven line. Patience and a steady hand is all that is required.

It depends on what you think you'll find to clean up your walls. I agree with everyone here, so it is up to you whether you want to do it the hard way or to the easier way.

Sponsored Links
We have done that with a couple of rooms recently. A dark red and a dark blue. The last house we were in we did a dark green feature wall.

I did what others said and used steady hands for a couple of coats on each wall finishing with the light colour. Then I used that green frog masking tape on the light wall dark wall and painted the dark wall with a few quick runs.

I have tried it the other way round with success too.

Looks good but you can always come back and tidy up a bit if you find yourself noticing it. I do find that green tape good although it is a bit more expensive.

For the ceiling I make sure the dark wall gets painted into the coving fully then use the tape to paint the coving back to the light colour - did one today and it looks very good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back