Paint flaking from new radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new single rad fitted in our bedroom no more than two years ago, and to be fair we tuck our curtains into the top of the radiator to keep the heat in the bedroom instead of it being trapped in the window void and disappearing outside.

Over the last few months we've noticed little bits of the finish on the radiator flaking off to the point where the radiator looks a bit of a state now. The exposed metal underneath the paint doesn't even look like it's in that good nick. It's not, but I'd almost say it looks like it's rusty.

Surely a new rad should last longer than that? We've got rads throughout the house that were fitted over 10 years ago and there's not a mark on them, but this one that we had added just seems to have perished in no time at all. :confused:

Has anyone else ever seen this happen? Problem is, I doubt the plumber who fitted it would still have the details of where he got it from unless he still uses the same place. I'm just a bit puzzled about it. :unsure:

Sponsored Links
It is unusual for this to happen.
It must be a rougue radiator that's somehow got through quality control.

However, it shouldn't prove to be much bother just rub down the spots were the radiator paint is flaking off then give it a couple of coats of gloss paint (if you apply the paint when the rad is lukewarm it goes on much easier).

At one time all radiators used to come with a grey primer coat only and it was up to the customer to apply the top coat.

Servotech,

I haven't painted it at all.

It came in a white coating so I didn't think it needed another coat of paint.

Sponsored Links
I haven't painted it at all.

It came in a white coating so I didn't think it needed another coat of paint.
It shouldn`t - you have a faulty one :cry: but you`ll have to rub it down well with glasspaper if you want to paint it all over - to dull the shiny finish ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back