Paint flaking off the walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I removed the wallpaper in my bathroom and it took off the original paint applied over the plaster. The paint came off very easy like it wasn't even attached to the wall in the first place.

Now all the paper is off, the rest of the paint is starting to flake off. If it is not flaking then a layer of paint starts to lift off and you can just brush the paint away.

I wanted to paint the bathroom, what can I do? The bathroom does not get that steamy as I have a extractor and a window open most times. I had the same problem in the kitchen and living room but not as bad, just a few areas that the pain that cracked and started to flake. Even using polyfilla base coat it still cracked.

Thanks, photos below!

Flaking.jpg

Cracking.jpg

overall.jpg

Sponsored Links
Oh I bet your glad you started that job aint ya! lol

The top layer of paint in the first picture is flaking because of the paste form the wallpaper, the rest of it is probably flaking because the walls wern't prepared properly of the paints tooo thick.

You'll need to wash them down to remove any old traces of paste then give them a good rub down to remove any remaining loose stuff, seal with a thinned coat of dulux stain block..fills the walls with a fine layer of easi-fil or something sumilar, seal again then line the walls..then paint or paper.

thanks for that, yes I wish I hadnt started! Is lining paper going to be ok in a room that gets humid?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If you paint it with somehting thats not moisture permiable like acrylic/oil based eggshell it will be fine

But you need to sort the condensation problem out though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back