Paint is coming off fence panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Last summer, I painted our very old garden fence panels with Cuprinol Ducksback, which I had been recommended to use.

The fence panels are very old and had no sign of ever having been painted previously.

They looked great after painting and I was well satisfied with my efforts.

BUT - over the winter, the paint started to fall off and a lot of the panels now have large ish areas dotted all over them that are completely devoid of paint.

What did I do wrong? I am wondering if I should have done a "mist coat" as one would when painting a new wall? The fence panels were so old and dry could it be that the paint did not adhere properly?

Thanks,

Ackoman

Sponsored Links
They have simply weathered during the winter.
Each year I give my fence panels 2 coats of Ronseal Fence Life in the spring and another 2 coats in autumn. They are 'fairly' new in that they have been up for 5 years. By spring there are 'bald' patches all over them. I think it's simply because they dry out during the summer so they contract. then as the weather deteriorates towards autumn/winter the air gets moist and manages to penetrate the wood. This has the effect of 'lifting' the previous seasons protection so exposing bare wood.
Sadly it's something you need to do each year no matter how new/old the fence is. Obviously with older fencing, especially not previously treated, it will be worse. You can only hope to slow down the process, you will never stop it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back