Paint is flaking and coming off...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
We recently decorated our dining room. We put 2 coats of Matt emulsion on. But a couple of months down the line and the paint is all picking off and flaking. This was not of fresh plaster. And is above the patio doors and on the arch way going into the room.
Does anyone know what It could be?

Thanks [/list]

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for your reply.
The walls were in perfect condition. And previous pain was also Matt emulsion

Leanne

Assuming there's no damp, which I'm sure you'd have mentioned, I'd get rid of any loose paint and sand/sugar-soap the walls. You should be safe to repaint.

Sponsored Links
Yes well now I am thinking possible damp? It's an extension with a flat roof. So wonder if it's maybe got abit damp?
Can't see any other signs of it tho apart from the flaking paint x

The previous post was advert spam, it will be gone soon.

If the area doesn't feel damp, there is no mould, and the previous paint was fine - I wouldn't worry.

The advert from oliverpl?

I do actual remember the first coat we put on in one of the areas when we first started painting that the existing paint came off, so we had to sand and repaint. And obv now it's flaking, which is abit strange?

Leanne

Try what I sugested Leanne, you can pick up Zinzer from any B and Q, I have dealt with alot of these problems in my 10- years as a decorator, but do not waste your time with sugar soap this is for cleaning not sealing .

If the paint came off back to the plaster, it may have been due to lack of a mist coat years ago.

I would expect to see/feel some damp if that was the cause.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back