Paint marks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone answer my problem. l have just painted my front room with matt trade emulsion- wickes brand 10 litre tub.This was done after using lining paper on the walls.Anyway l have cut in one wall at a time before using the roller on it.But when it's dry where l have cut in it's darker from where l have used the paint brush . l have used a light colour of barley white. l have tried rolling first then cutting in but still have a light/dark contrast where the roller has met the brush.l have used a symthetic brush and smooth roller, so why is this happening.l have gave it 3 coats and it's still there.Also where l have cut in ' from a angle it has a shine all round where l have cut in.Answers much appreciated. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Strange one that! Usually when rolling up to where you have cut in with a brush you do see a slight difference but mainly in texture and nothing really noticable unless you used a crap brush. What was behind the linning paper before hand, as in colour? Was it dark or light finish?

Sometimes you just have to living with it as nothing can really be done. As a decorator I've seen this only once or twice but mainly with dark colours and not with off whites etc. I know its a stupid question but were both the roller and the brush completely clean or have they been used before in dark colours? If so you could have a small amount of residue left at the top of the brush just enough to darkern the paint etc but again most unlikely.

Going by there prices "ray316", to be honest then expect these type of things to happen. You should have bought Leyland Vinyl Matt emulsion.

Third_Eye said:
Going by there prices "ray316", to be honest then expect these type of things to happen. You should have bought Leyland Vinyl Matt emulsion.

You rate Leyland paint????

Sponsored Links
Brutal said:
Strange one that! Usually when rolling up to where you have cut in with a brush you do see a slight difference but mainly in texture and nothing really noticable unless you used a rubbish brush. What was behind the linning paper before hand, as in colour? Was it dark or light finish?

Sometimes you just have to living with it as nothing can really be done. As a decorator I've seen this only once or twice but mainly with dark colours and not with off whites etc. I know its a stupid question but were both the roller and the brush completely clean or have they been used before in dark colours? If so you could have a small amount of residue left at the top of the brush just enough to darkern the paint etc but again most unlikely.
The brush was a new desent brush never been used, also the roller was new.Before lining the wall, the wall itself was a light colour of emulsion from the past.Just cannot understand why this has happened. :confused:

It is happening cos u bought cheap emulsion..................

Brutal said:
Third_Eye said:

Some of there paints is good "Brutal"...............

Third_Eye said:
Third eye. l have used this paint many times on walls and ceilings and never had any problems before.It may be cheaper than other paints but this does not have to be the reason for this problem.It's a quick and easy answer to say cheap paint, l,m looking for anwers from decorators who have had this happen to them.Personally l don't think it's because of cheaper paint. :confused:

Third_Eye said:
Brutal said:
Third_Eye said:

Aye i agree some of Leyland paints are good but I'd rather use Johnstones over Leyland plus with D.I.Y stores now doing Dulux Trade paint at very good prices why would you want to use cheaper paint??? You get what you pay for.

Brutal said:
Third_Eye said:
Brutal said:
Third_Eye said:

Aye i agree some of Leyland paints are good but I'd rather use Johnstones over Leyland plus with D.I.Y stores now doing Dulux Trade paint at very good prices why would you want to use cheaper paint??? You get what you pay for.
I give option to clients of what paint to use. Dulux being dearer and Leyland being cheaper.

ray316 said:
Third_Eye said:
Third eye. l have used this paint many times on walls and ceilings and never had any problems before.It may be cheaper than other paints but this does not have to be the reason for this problem.It's a quick and easy answer to say cheap paint, l,m looking for anwers from decorators who have had this happen to them.Personally l don't think it's because of cheaper paint. :confused:
In my opinion "ray316" it is fundimental the price of emulsions in terms of possible problems. Bargain bucket prices means taking a gamble with that product etc. I am basically saying i to have the problem you have stated but it has only happend to me when clients buy there own Bargain Bucket Emulsion. Thats all i am explaining. In other words if you bought 5 Litres of Quality Vinyl Matt, then you would not have your current problem.

Your techniques wrong.

Cut in and roller at the same time as you're cutting in is wet otherwise it'll "flash."

It's asking for trouble the way you're painting it, with the paint you're using.

Drives me mad.....even when I see pro's painting this way.

Growler said:
Your techniques wrong.

Cut in and roller at the same time as you're cutting in is wet otherwise it'll "flash."

It's asking for trouble the way you're painting it, with the paint you're using.

Drives me mad.....even when I see pro's painting this way.
Growler what you have said is what l have done on one wall at a time,using the roller while the cutting in is still wet.What l have noticed today which may be the problem is l brought 10Litre matt, but l had some a small amout left in another bucket.Same brand from wickes, so l let it drain into the new bucket. l have looked at the other bucket now which l binned and this is wickes silk which l drained into wickes matt. :oops: Would this have caused the patches in the cutting in areas.Also, what about if l did not stir the paint enough. :(

could do with some reply's here chaps, like l have just mentioned about mixing silk and matt in the same bucket, and not stirring paint proper would this cause patches . :( :oops:

eerrr!!! sorry I have never done it or seen it done so I for one cannot give you a definite answer about mixing the paint like you did. :confused: :confused:

My guess would be that it is the cause though. You will get a definite answer from Dulux Tech and you can find the number on the Dulux website, maybe one of the others can tell you more on here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back