How do I stop the cutting in border im leaving?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im doing up an old house and have been using Craig & Rose chalky emulsions. Didnt have any problem with white I used for a pantry but used a light mustard yellow for the kitchen and when I cut in round the ceiling I had a 2" border. When I then rollered to fill in the walls I could see where i'd cut in with the brush as the paint was thicker. I cut in again and feathered the paint and rollered 3 coats in total and the end result looks perfect. It obviously wasted time doing this and know you shouldnt have to cut in twice.

How should I cut in, Ive no problem with striaght lines etc as per the previous thread.

Should I thin the paint for cutting in?

Try and fill in the walls with the roller before the cutting in line dry's etc?

Appreciate your advice.

Sponsored Links
I've never used it but C & R don't have the best of reps. Its normal to cut in twice. A brush will apply paint thicker than a roller and therefore cover better, particularly noticeable in paints that cover poorly. Your right to feather out the cutting in, also be careful to only very slightly overlap with the roller into the cutting in. Sometimes cut twice roll three is best. I think you've answered your own question really with the feathering, you could thin the paint a bit but i only really thin to provide good flow.
If you dont let the cutting in dry you run the risk of rolling into semi dried paint which will cause flashing, you could cut and roll a wall at a time providing your reasonably quick.

Think you'll be ok as you got it right with a bit more time and often thats the answer, a little patience and time makes all the difference.

Thanks dcdec sounds like id got there with a bit of luck and head scratching.

Ive used the Clark & Rose paints for two reasons theres a bit of being sold the old, traditional theme, nice looking tins old is best idea you know what i mean, I only use wooden handle brushes etc lol

main reason though is the house.

Im doing up an old house and have been insulating with sheeps wool and breathable plasterboard so want a fully breathable paint. Ive used Dulux fresh plaster paint as a base which allows fresh plaster skim to dry out. Dulux though do not advertise their matt emulsions as breathable.

Can you recomend any paints that are?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The key word to look for when searching modern manufacturers is microporous.

But i would have a look at earthborne (not sure on the spelling), they should have just what you're looking for.

Most traditional paints made from clay and lime etc are breathable and with the rise in eco awareness theres quite a good choice now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back