Framing problem when emulsioning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All,

I hope you can help with the following issue , When emulsioning walls (Vinyl Matt)with a roller, I usually cut in with a cutting in brush , but usually end up with a noticeable banding around the edges of the walls.

I have read the forum on how to avoid this and am going to use a 4 inch roller to feather out the edges to make it less noticeable , my question is how much should I cut in before starting on the rollering of the wall. I am pretty quick at painting , But have the long drop on the stairs to do and would appreciate some advice on how to tackle this part of the task.

Many Thanks in advance

Glenn

Sponsored Links
What paint are you using, what colour?

What you describe is called flashing and can happen with particular colours and particular brands of paint; chalky paints have a habit of flashing. keeping a wet edge helps so not brushing out too much when cutting in will help keep a wet edge. Cut a wall at a time in, you will waste time having to swap and change from brush to roller and back again to brush and probably get in a mess so you need to cut the whole wall in and then roll.

A small roller will help a little to add a bit of texture to hide brush marks on the edge but it will still be different to a full sized roller in texture, a brush can feather the edge as much as a roller can.

I would test your technique out on a small wall first to see what effect you get before committing to the larger area's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back