Tips required for painting with rollers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Friends,

It has now come to the time when I shall soon be applying paint to newly plastered walls. With the help of yourselves I have selected paints and tools etc, I would now like some advice on the application of the paint.

I presume it is best to start with the ceiling and then move on to the walls. I have looked online, and have been advised to 'cut in' around the edges of the ceiling with a brush where it meets the walls and then apply the paint with a roller.

Considering the time that it wall take to go around the room and 'cut in' surely when I come to using the roller, the 'cut in' strip of paint will be dry. Is it OK to paint up to and over the 'cut in' part using the roller or alternatively, should I cut in and immediately apply the roller in the same area as I go (therefore rolling over freshly cut in paint).

Is it true that as I roll the roller, I should be rolling in an 'N' shape and then be filling in, in parallel lines over the unpainted N? Should I be making sure that when I use the roller that I partially repaint freshly wet paint from the previous roll i.e overlapping?

If the ceiling is to be white with magnolia walls, should I mask the bare plaster on the walls to prevent white paint getting on them when I cut in, or will the required magnolia on the walls cover this?

Sorry to be a pain in the backside but some help with the above really would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Need Help 21

Sponsored Links
Hi,

First off, if your walls are newly plastered, have you done a mist coat?

This is simply some white paint, slightly watered down and applied via a roller. It acts as a primer onto fresh plaster - which will draw moisture in very quickly. (try putting a bit of paint onto fresh plaster - it will dry in minutes).

Secondly, I always cut in the whole room first, then roller the middle. Ceiling first. If you have had your ceiling replastered as well then mist coat everything in one go.

Thirdly, I don't think it matters what pattern you make with your roller, but be sure to be nice and generous with the paint. Don't spread it too far in one go and do overlap previous sections to get a smooooth finish.

Hope this helps.

Dan,

Many thanks, I shall be doing the mist coat first as previously advised.

You say to be generous with the paint and to overlap. Surely, if I am applying effectively thicker coats and overlapping, I may get what appears to be a number of roller lines when dry?

Would I not get a better finish if I was to spread the paint thinly and add more coats?

Cheers

The lessons learnt many many years ago.

DONT PRESS TO HARD, as you make lines at the roller edges.

ALSO

When you step back & look at what you have done & it looks patchy, its probably because it is drying, so dont keep going over it.

Sponsored Links
Dampen the sleeve slightly first so the paint absorbs into it quickly and doesnt just sit on the outside of it.

Use a 9 inch roller on a 1-3/4 inch cage frame

Use a roller pole so you can stand back and see how your gnoig as you paint

Keep the roller tray in front of you and at an angle to the left or right depending what handed you are

Cut in first...do one wall at a time top and bottom, remember you dont have to cut the bottom into the skirting you can do the skirting later.

Thanks Zampa, that are your thoughts in response to my questions about overlapping, painting in an N shape and allowing the 'cut-in' paint to dry?

You shouldnt let the cutting in dry completely it could 'flash'

As for the rolling...its difficult doulf N's M's or W's with a roller on a pole..I tend to stick to painting vertical stripes and blending them together.

You shouldnt let the cutting in dry completely it could 'flash'

As for the rolling...its difficult doulf N's M's or W's with a roller on a pole..I tend to stick to painting vertical stripes and blending them together.

I agree with Zamps :D blending is the secret, (I do the same with my makeup) ;)

It might help you if after you have rolled your vertical area, and just before your going to dip your roller back in the tray to load up, gently roll upwards from the skirting, blending as you go along.

If by any chance you start getting lines from the roller edges, then just roll them out, if you start getting lines, then just gently knock the roller, as sometimes it can move away from the end of the roller arm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back