Paint not drying one out of three rails?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a balcony with hand rails in 5 sections, the paint clearly old and flaking so found some old paint in stock so set about removing old paint with hot air gun and scraper and repainting just the hand rails to hopefully stop any further degrading.

Section one and two stripped and first coat applied no problem, section three stripped, put second coat on first two and first coat on third, and the third rail bubbled up and would not dry, second coat dried OK on other two, but where the paint had gone into cracks it bubbled up and after 2 days I scrapped the paint off again, it now seems to have dried.

Question is why one rail the paint did not dry, but other two rails no problem?

Sponsored Links
What paint is it? How long did you stir it?

Is the railing metal?

What time of day did you paint it, and what time does the sun hit it?

Layland paint stirred before starting wood rails, midday in sun all the time, continuous painted two rails with second coat then third rail with first coat, the second coat rails dried, the first coat rails did not, same conditions day before when other two rails had first coat they dried OK. Had I not stripped with hot air gun I would have blamed original paint, had all three not dried I would have said paint too old, but seems odd two rails OK and one will not dry with same paint and same day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back