Paint or replace curved bath panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, (sorry if this is not the correct forum to post this question)

My partner hates our bath panel and "demands" a white one. I am in a dilemma having never touched a bath panel before I am not sure if its easier to paint the existing panel or rip it out and replace with a white one.

I don't think the current material is wood, maybe MDF ? If this is the case what is the best method of painting it. Do i need to rough sand, apply a primer and then gloss or equivalent. Can anyone recommend a suitable primer?

How hard is it to fit an round bath panel? Should i consider a flexible white plastic one, build up the curve with a sequence of small sheets of ply or maybe T&G plastic cladding etc. As you can probably tell from the questions I have no idea how to go about replacing the panel and to be honest the prospect terrifies me.

Ps the current bath panel measures 2160mm - the max length i have seen is 2000mm is this going to be an issue.

Any suggestions or advice is welcome.

Hopefully these pictures will clarify the magnitude of the problem.

IMG_20160805_195509161.jpg
IMG_20160805_195524698.jpg
IMG_20160805_195528860.jpg

Sponsored Links
The chances of finding a white panel with the same radius will probably be very slim, so I agree painting it would be the remedy to pursue. It would not be difficult give it a fine sanding then spray with etch primer & spray white gloss using car spray cans. Try a bit on the inside first if possible.
You could also do with some white mastic around the edge of the bath & panel to stop water getting under the lip of the bath

I agree keep that one and paint or stain it. It looks to be well made and a shame to rip it out, so some re-purposing would be good. Perhaps something that lets the grain show through? You'll have to rub through the varnish back to bare wood, use a multitool with a sanding pad and foam backing.

Nozzle

Thanks for the advice, I am going to follow the consensus of opinion and attempt to paint it and see how it goes.

Turns out its mdf with a laminate on, so I've rough sanded it and now plan to paint it with oil based Satinwood http://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-trade-satinwood-paint-brilliant-white-2-5ltr/75370.

Can anyone suggest a suitable undercoat/primer for the paint to stick to?
Would any oil based primer be suitable?
Is applying a primer unnecessary as the paint is self undercoating and the panels are already sealed?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
We looked into painting some laminate furnature a while back and I seem to recall a shellac based primer was recommended.
litl

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back