Paint or Wallpaper over Plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Follow up to a previous question.

I'm stripping many layers of poorly hung wallpaper from plasterboard. The surface is going to be a bit damaged once I've got all the old paper off.

But I don't fancy putting up new wallpaper right now (even just liner paper) - big job - tall ceilings.

So I thought I'd just paint the plasterboard for now. Plan was PVA then emulsion - after repairing surface defects.

What I was wondering - will this create any problems when I eventually get round to putting up wallpaper? Will I have any trouble getting it to stick to the painted walls?

And looking further into the future - would it lead to problems with stripping of any wallpaper I put over the painted surface (or even perhaps make stripping easier)?

Sponsored Links
To be honest, my advice is get a Plasterer in and then paint your walls.

Dont bother with the PVA...

I agree with Thirdeye...the walls will look lousey after all the making good, too mant different surfaces will leave scars and rough uneven areas..when you have different surafaces the light bounces off them differently creating a patchy effect

Id say either line or plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back