paint peeling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks bit of help needed as im now at my wits end!
I had a repair to do to my bedroom ceiling after id fully skimmed and decorated the room so i used easifill for the repair then redecorated the ceiling here where the problem starts
After redecorating the ceiling i noticed that at a few points where the repair was done the new paint is literally peeling and falling off and i haven't the slightest clue what to do other than reskim the whole ceiling which i really dont want to do as the room is now fully decorated and will be a PITA.
Iv been going round in circles with this i ended up waiting for everything to dry out again then re filled let the easifill dry for week or so sanded and re painted and its still happening it seems as though as soon as new paint is applied with a roller its just bringing the paint and some filler off

Any suggestions what to do as it stands at the moment i have the paint scraped back to hopefully a point where it seems to be stuck properly so any help would be appreciated[/u]

Sponsored Links
Did you apply a mist coat (thinned emulsion) over the filler first.

Dec

Yes i did do a mist coat sorry forgot to add to the original post

Sponsored Links
The paint for finishing is leyland matt from the decirator center and i used a cheapo contract matt for the mist coat
I only did 1 mist coat could that be the problem?

No one mist coat is fine, try this, apply a slightly thinned oil based undercoat over the problem areas allow to dry and then apply your emulsion.

Dec

Im going to need to refill the area now as the pstch has got bigger would you apply the undercoat and then fill or vise versa?

Cant see how the patch has got bigger, perhaps before you continue you should ask advice on the plasterers sub forum and see what advice they can offer you.

Dec

Im a plasterer by trade mate i know thats not the problem
What i mean by the patch has got bigger is obviously the peeling paint had to be taken to where it is solid and aheared properly

The plastering side of it is fine and the easifill bit just not very up on the painting side so was worried that my mist coat was the proplem thus causing the paint to not stick correctly

Sorry I was not aware of that, fill sand and then apply the undercoat, bit of puzzle this one.

Dec

It is to me too mate iv never had a problem before with mist coat and then 2 coats of finishing paint but then again i am no pro decorator

It does seem a bit bizzare that the only affected area is the repair patch not all of it but some i can only assume that the mist coat may have been too thick causing adhesion problems

It seems like whenever its gettin wet fron the top coat its bubbling and peeling but i dont fancy scraping all the paint back to find the full patch as it would be painful to say the least and if there is an adhesion problem reskiming is going to cause a problem to so thats out

Oh the joys of decorating!
Think ill stick to the day job lol

Will do hopefully a bitmore filler elbow grease with the sanding undercoat mist and finish coat should do the trick if no think im going to put a sledgehammer through it

Reeves2k2

As you are a plasterer, I presume you've checked the obvious - that being, the Easi-Fill isn't out of date.

Other than that are you wiping the dust away afetr sanding?
If so, then it is a bit of a puzzle. :confused:

I tried patching with Easi-fill in the past and it peels like fook when you paint it. Dunno how these Poles get on. I don't know why it does it when you use it for patching, but it is a right mare. I know that it is generally really bad advice to apply PVA before painting but that was the only way I could get the Easi-fill to stop sucking the water out of the paint. Just a weak solution to control the suction - you can't see it or feel it if you do it right. If you try to apply 3 weak mist coats - it'll all disintegrate and you roller bits all over the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back