Paint Peeling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi in my hallway (known for condensation) the paint (emulsion) is peeling right off the plaster (4years old) ... i have used a putty knife and now have got to a place were the paint as stopped peeling off (nearly at the ceiling!) When walls were skimmed we did water down by 10% standard white emulsion (matt) and its this paint that is coming off ....

What do i need to do now?? the plaster looks dry and i have a dehumidifier in use in the hall... the wall is very cold if that makes a difference to my next move .... i have my chosen paint again matt emulsion can i just put a layer on the now bear plaster or do i need to re do the watered down step even though this has been done and the skimming is 4years old?!?!

Sponsored Links
New paint over bare plaster will need thinning again.

It does sound like your hallway needs ventilation.

thanks, ive done one mist coat ... do i need to do two? used asda emulsion and reduced it by 10%

was reading the link cold vs warm lofts ... mine is cold and there is a noticable draft when i go up stairs, could some of the condensation be from an ill fitted loft hatch?? the house was built in the 1930's but my neighbours dont seem to suffer from wet corners and windows like i do when its cold out .... my dehumidifier has to work 24/7

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back