Paint problems peelease help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, there's a ton of threads on here about peeling paint and I'm about to add to them I'm afraid, as I couldn't find a consensus solution to this problem. After the walls were skimmed and the plaster had dried, I applied a mist coat using 50% Armstead contract matt and 50% water. Once this had dried I then painted on the water based eggshell top coat.
It's a couple of weeks later now and the paint in the corners of the room is peeling away and doesn't appear to have stuck when I poke it (I know, don't poke it!). I've attached a couple of photo's. I'm hoping that you might be able to help me to find a way to solve this problem. I wondered whether applying another mist coat over the eggshell coat in the corners might be a solution? Thank you!
2hs13lf.jpg

1z38a2q.jpg

1znrktj.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi there, there's a ton of threads on here about peeling paint and I'm about to add to them I'm afraid, as I couldn't find a consensus solution to this problem. After the walls were skimmed and the plaster had dried, I applied a mist coat using 50% Armstead contract matt and 50% water. Once this had dried I then painted on the water based eggshell top coat.
It's a couple of weeks later now and the paint in the corners of the room is peeling away and doesn't appear to have stuck when I poke it (I know, don't poke it!). I've attached a couple of photo's. I'm hoping that you might be able to help me to find a way to solve this problem. I wondered whether applying another mist coat over the eggshell coat in the corners might be a solution? Thank you!
2hs13lf.jpg

1z38a2q.jpg

1znrktj.jpg
There newly skimmed walls they dont look too good, you have used too long a pile roller sleeve and have got terrible orange peel effect on the walls.
If the mist coated walls were clean and dry when you started to put the water based eggshell on, I would say you should have thinned the first coat of eggshell a bit.
If I was you I would scrape of any flaking paint and touch in with Zinserr, allow to dry if any bots require filling fill them and rub down once dry, touch up the filler and apply another coat of your eggshell, try to get as much cool ait in the room as possible as water based paints dry far to quickly, cut in with a brush 1 wall ay a time and roll it without stopping then move onto the next wall.

There newly skimmed walls they dont look too good, you have used too long a pile roller sleeve and have got terrible orange peel effect on the walls.
If the mist coated walls were clean and dry when you started to put the water based eggshell on, I would say you should have thinned the first coat of eggshell a bit.
If I was you I would scrape of any flaking paint and touch in with Zinserr, allow to dry if any bots require filling fill them and rub down once dry, touch up the filler and apply another coat of your eggshell, try to get as much cool ait in the room as possible as water based paints dry far to quickly, cut in with a brush 1 wall ay a time and roll it without stopping then move onto the next wall.
That's useful to know, thank you. I used a medium pill Hamilton roller, as it said it would give a smooth finish!

Sponsored Links
No disrespect it doesn't look that smooth, I honestly think the eggshell was drying to quick when you were rolling the walls, and dont roll over any areas you have already rolled.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back