Paint Type

Here's the idea - 100% - 60% - 20%

walls.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ok Andy..last question first...YES!....its the safest way of colour scheming and its called a monochromatic colour scheme (just watch their faces in your local paint store when you tell them what your going to do!!!)...

No risks involved and you should end up with a very calm and pleasing effect.....dont forget the ceiling and woodwork..add some of the colour...just a bit, to white for the ceiling..possibly the same colour as you choose for the woodwork...darker colour on the bottom always, or the room may look upside down..do you have a chimney breast?..think about doint it in a slightly different colour to make it stand out.....if all the walls and woodwork are coloured and you leave the ceiling white it may look like a big overpowering white slab.

IMO a brush finish is best, it gives a flatter deeper, more powedery look to the paint.

Always work down or along the smallest length..i.e if the ceiling height is 8 foot and the wall length is 20 foot...then work from ceiling to floor along the wall...this will help you keep a wet edge as you go...use a four inch brush, work in narrow stripe....no more than you can hadle..id suggest about 12 inches...heavy strokes first to spread the paint around..then lighter criss cross strokes to finish....dont lay it off up and down or horizontally..

Keep the room as cool as possible..it will also help you keep the wet edge going...practice on the mist coat and the first coat...the final coat should be easy.

Excellent Zampa - Thanks for that advice
I'm not barking then :)
monochromatic eh! - can't wait to try that on em.

Back to the brush thing - I've purchased cheap ones and semi cheap ones and they all loose their bristles. Should i splash out on a really expensive one to stop this happening. Drives me mad.

Thanks Again - Fantastic Forum

Andy :D

Go for a Hamilton perfection...a three inch should set you back about 18 squid....but looked after, will last you years.

If you have a branch of brewers near you then pop in there and ask for a brewers supper...again a decent brush..(also made by Hamilton)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back