Paint Type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
What is the best type of paint for living room walls?
We want a paint that won't shoe up any imperfections in the plaster. We are having all the walls skimmed.

Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
The house is about 35 years old. All the walls are being skimmed over so they will be perfectly smooth.

Andy

Your posts don't really make sense. We don't want any imperfections to show up / we are having the walls reskimmed.

Anyhow, slight confusion apart, simply follow the rule that the glossier the surface, the less forgiving it is. Also, Down / Up lighters highlight imperfections.

Sponsored Links
I think I know what your getting at here, I agree with Eddie M..the shinier the surface the more imperfections (even in newly plastered walls) will show up.

Unless the skimming is absolutly faultless, and you wont know until you have painted it) then I certainly wouldnt use silk or soft sheen on the wall.

Stick to Matt.

First coat thin by about 50%

Sand down with 100 grade paper

Next coat thin by 20%

Full coat on the top.

Thanks Guys

I didn't explain it very well, but you answered my question well.

Thanks Again
Andy

Kin ell Zampa, seems a bit much for emulsioning a wall - 3 coats! :eek: Are there many people that would go to this expense/trouble?
Just curious :LOL:
Cheers,
Gcol

Well......

Expenses wise..its best to use cheap emul for the first coat..2.5 litres in more than enough for your average room..

You can do it in two coats..still thinning the first one, but by the time you have sanded the first, you will probably expose the bear plaster, resulting in filling and touching up before the final coat..(but scars may show through)..so by the tme all thats done, youl have virtually put three coats on anyway.

Being the old pro that I am.. :rolleyes: I always suggest the 'proper' way

A-hem...I gave a student thinned out silk last week to mist coat a wall be mistake....the stuff was coming off in sheets today :oops: ..nevermind..I blamed him for not preparing the wall enough! :evil:

would agree with Zampa, would always expect 3 coats at least on fresh plaster , if you want a solid cover usually one mist coat of dilute emulsion then 2 coats of colour.Try going over yellow or orange that can sometimes be a 3 coat job too.
Basically as many coats as is necessary to get a solid finish.

gcol said:
Kin ell Zampa, seems a bit much for emulsioning a wall - 3 coats! :eek: Are there many people that would go to this expense/trouble?
Just curious :LOL:
Cheers,
Gcol
On bare walls they shold :rolleyes:

I just stripped a lounge and most of fkn emulsion has come off leaving bare plaster scars all over. A classic case of pva and one coat **** work.
Agree with zampa and you'll have lovely solid base walls. It dont take much longer while room is in a mess anyway.

3 coats it is then. To be honest I've never actually emulsioned new plaster (only re-covered old paint or paper). I was just questioning whether 3 coats is actually necessary or is just perfectionist's overkill.
This forum is great - you learn something new every day.
Keep up the good work guys.
Cheers,
Gcol

gcol said:
3 coats it is then. To be honest I've never actually emulsioned new plaster (only re-covered old paint or paper). I was just questioning whether 3 coats is actually necessary or is just perfectionist's overkill.This forum is great - you learn something new every day.
Keep up the good work guys.
Cheers,
Gcol

No.....thats when we do it with a brush instead of a roller!...theres a knack to it but IMHO a brush finish using vinyl matt is far superior to a rolled one...better still if you use a dead flat quality emulsion.
I have recently given all the kids in college a brushing exercise.....they all had the hump and I got the 'its doing my head in' remarks....but I told them a monkey can roll a wall..and showed them the difference, in the end they were all well pleased with their efforts and even compared each others work.....pride isnt something you associate with most of todays kids...its so nice to see.

So...Gee.....have a bash....better still, get the mrs to do it...tell her shes far better than you, thus,,,,she will want to do all the decorating in future..and that means more quality beer and sofa time.. :evil:

I've been hijacked :) but that's ok, i've learned some stuff too.
I've seen some 'flat' paint in the local DIY store and think i'll use that.

Now on the subject of brush, roller, pad.

Which gives the best result? - Whats tips can you give if i choose a brush?

Thanks -
(the plaster is nearly dry)

Andy

Me Again - Sorry
So for my newly skimmed (some walls had the plaster removed, plaster boarded and then skimmed over) walls is it ok to paint the first coat with just a cheap white matt emusion and then the second and third coat with the decent (chosen colour) stuff?

Andy

Sorry - me again, again

About choosing paint colours.
Is it common/possible to select a paint colour and then get the shop to make two more colours from the original at 60% and 20% tints ?

My thinking is that this way all three colours would go together, or am i completely barking?

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back