Paint Will Not Stick To Outside Renderd Porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Used a PVA base coat let it dry.
Used a good quality paint and it just peels staight off ...
Rest of the house same paint, is fine. Just the arch and inside of the porch area.
Anyone help please?

Sponsored Links
if you painting the outside of the porch / house and its new render, then you can paint straight on with a good quality exterior emulsion. If the surface is old and flaky it needs to be wire brushed and sealed where it has been flaking with a stabilizing solution to bind the surface back. PVA is not to be used as a sealer outside, no good inside on new plaster either come to think of it.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Used a PVA base coat let it dry.
Used a good quality paint and it just peels staight off ...
Rest of the house same paint, is fine. Just the arch and inside of the porch area.
Anyone help please?

Theres your problem...

as the lads said its the pva that the paint is having problems adherring to. i would suggest using a good quality stainblock/primer witch will stick to the pva then that should allow u to coat maisonary ontop of that

i use zinsers, its great stuff, specifically states that it sticks to glossy surfaces. its a bit pricey in johnstons, about £40 a tin, but if you've got an englintine timber yard near you they sell it for 12quid

and you'll also need to give it a good rub down with a wire brush first, to take off the loose and flakey stuff

as the lads said its the pva that the paint is having problems adherring to. i would suggest using a good quality stainblock/primer witch will stick to the pva then that should allow u to coat maisonary ontop of that

i use zinsers, its great stuff, specifically states that it sticks to glossy surfaces. its a bit pricey in johnstons, about £40 a tin, but if you've got an englintine timber yard near you they sell it for 12quid

I think the problem is between the PVA and the cement render..no amount of paint over the PVA is going to help..in fact IMO it might make it worse by causing a surface tension when it dries.

ENTSMAN...did you coat the whole of the house with PVA then apint it or was it just the Porch?..and what do you mean by 'Good quality paint'...what type of paint did you use?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back