Painted cupboard with chalk furniture paint.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all.

I've just up-cycled/renovated a wordroab that a friend was throwing away. It's come up pretty good to be honest, but (that good he wants it back) lol.

I've painted it using a dark blue chalk paint. I'm just wanting to know if there's a clear coat furniture paint or something like that I can use to give it more protection to knocks and scuffs. I caught one of the doors with a chair and the paint came away very easily. It's a matt finish paint that I've painted with and I'd like to keep a matt finish if possible. Would a clear matt finish varnish be OK to use to give more protection?

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Matt polyvine over top.

Or use an eggshell paint. That's tuffer

A friend of mine said he used matt varnish but had problems when brushing over chalk paint. Said it was like the 2 paints were mixing when he was brushing over chalk paint? Not sure what he meant really. I'll look into the polyvine though. Never heard of it before.

Sponsored Links
Varnish will change he appearance of chalk paint, even in matt form, so keep it as paint only and be prepared to touch it up if you want to maintain the appearance of that finish.

Blup

Hey all.

I've just up-cycled/renovated a wordroab that a friend was throwing away. It's come up pretty good to be honest, but (that good he wants it back) lol.

I've painted it using a dark blue chalk paint. I'm just wanting to know if there's a clear coat furniture paint or something like that I can use to give it more protection to knocks and scuffs. I caught one of the doors with a chair and the paint came away very easily. It's a matt finish paint that I've painted with and I'd like to keep a matt finish if possible. Would a clear matt finish varnish be OK to use to give more protection?

Any advice much appreciated.

If you are worried about chips, then it is a bit late- sorry. If the current finish is chipping off, it is down to a lack of adhesion between the current paint and the pre-existing paint. Adding a varnish won't change that.

If you want to protect the existing finish from finger prints, you need to use wax or acrylic varnish.

Chalk finishes provide a lovely matt finish, but they are not particularly practical. At the risk of being a cynic, they are marketed as being trendy and easy to apply. Being super matt, the brush strokes are less visible. Longevity is seldom mentioned.

If you find that applying a waterbased varnish drags the existing finish off, you need to hit it as quickly as possible with a roller. The first coat will seal the finish, enabling you apply a second with greater ease. In all probability, the colour may change though (only after the first coat . Some lighter colours become darker, but not always.

Going with the waterbase varnish. Dont mind the blue Going a little darker. Have read the atical you mentioned above, pretty much all the info i need. I'm pretty good with a brush and mini rollers so i think im good to go. Will practice on a piece of the wardrobe thats not going to be seen just so i know what to expect when doing doors and end panels.

Cheers for info.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back