Chalk white paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some truly flat matt white cupboard doors in the bathroom and want to match the framework. Tried eggshell and it doesn't come out flat matt. Thought about using emulsion then sealing with clear matt varnish. Or chalk white furniture paint perhaps again sealed with clear matt varnish. Can anybody please sort me out?

Sponsored Links
If you want a durable oil based finish then look at flat paints. The likes of Dulux Trade and Johnstone make them. They are less than 10% sheen.

To date the only waterbased wood trim finished that I have used that flowed nicely was Eico, it is 10% sheen which is much more matt than eggshell which is about 25+%. Ray Munn in Fulham sells it.

You could use emulsion or chalk paints but your brush marks will be quite heavy. Polyvine make (dead flat) matt waterbased varnish.

Waterbased paints however become soft in humid conditions. I would rather use a flat oil paint.

Edit- 10% sheen is pretty much what most people would consider to be matt. Black chalkboard paint is (at a guess about 5% sheen).

A downside to flat finishes is that they are slightly harder to keep clean. That said, I guess that won't be too much of an issue in a bathroom. An oil based finish will always be more durable but in the absence of UV light it will yellow, whereas waterbased paints are not affected by a lack of UV light.

I hoe that helps. Just ask if you need more advice. Regards.

Thanks Opps for all that useful info. I did a lot of searching and in the end I found Ronseal Matt for Wood and Metal 750ml which is the size I wanted. It was the last tin and I wouldn't be surprised if it's been discontinued. It's waterbased and turned out to be more like eggshell or satin than matt emulsion which is the finish I had hoped for. Anyway the job is done and it looks OK now I've put in a lower wattage light bulb!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back