Painted exterior wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I have this wall in my garden, I paint it every year and it always flakes off and looks a mess by the following summer. I paint it with masonry paint. Any tips on what I can do to stop it flaking off? Any tips on the best way to clean it off before I re-paint it?

Sponsored Links
Hello..
What condition is the wall? Damp, damaged? Was it painted before you started painting it? Did you remove all the flaking paint before you kept painting it? Also wondering what someone else may have used before you and it's stopping the masonry paint from properly adhering. I was thinking perhaps it's had some pliolite.
You could try removing as much of the old paint as possible, esp flaking stuff with a stiff brush, and starting again, perhaps use a stabiliser before repainting.

Am not an expert by any means, I hope someone else can help more. And just out of interest, what's the writing underneath?!

Pressure wash the wall to get the loose flakey bits off and clean off, allow to dry , , apply stabilising solution,

and two coats of GOOD QUALITY Exterior Masonry paint

Job DUN

I'd jet wash it, then use a stabiliser and double coat it with a trade masonry paint.

Sponsored Links
Those precast panels are notorious for moss and lichen to grow on. If it is painted before the removal of the spores then the paint will flake off. Also of importance is whether the other side of the wall is painted. If water is penetrating the panel from the other side, that will also cause the paint to flake and peel.

If you need to kill off fungal spores, use a fungicidal wash after removing all loose paint, rinse thoroughly and allow to dry before re-painting (using a stabiliser if the surface is friable).

@ blightymam
It looks like the writing says 'Sophie' with a flower underneath.

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry I've been slow to reply. The wall was just plain before I 1st painted it, normally it just gets a quick once over with a wire brush and hose down before it gets repainted. The other side of the wall is in next doors garden, I'll look over the fence and see what they have on there side. It might be worth me doing there side aswell to stop the damp penetrating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back