Painted Patio Disaster - Help required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last May I painted my patio with cream masonary paint . At the time it really improved the appearance of the patio and my little garden BUT now after the long winter it is terrible looking - it has brown/black streaks all over it - which I doubt will wash off , Should I paint over this with a darker colour which won't show dirt and grim and if so what would be a suitable colour and appropriate for a patio ?

I will have to do something as it is just awful looking but I don't know what is the right thing to do

If anyone can advise me on this I would be most grateful

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Really, masonry paint is for walls. If you want to paint your patio, I would suggest an epoxy based floor paint. Though I'm not an expert on this.

Your initial choice seems on the face of it to be madness anyway! Who wants a painted cream patio?!? As said, strip it off with a good PW, then repoint it and then keep it clean in future.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply and advise . I will hire a PW and see how it looks BUT what will I repaint it with ? what type of paint and what colour would you advise ? also will I need to put something on before the paint ?

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply
Cassieoc

Dont paint it at all - they are not designed to be painted really. What's so wrong with them once they have been cleaned up? What's the obsession with painting the darned things?!

Re paint with a mixture of brown and black masonry paint, this will hide the brown and black streaks.

Don't forget to click the 'thanks' button.

I agree that it should never have been painted but it was painted when I bought the house . It was a brown / terracotta colour and the estate agent said it looked like cresote - not sure what that is - then this started to fade and unfortunately I then put cream / stone colour masonary paint on it last May which was a disaster .
I think I have no option but to repaint it ! I will use a power wash first but still not sure what colour or paint to use ?

Thanks for advise , I'm just wondering if a polyurethane floor paint that you used on your garage floor be suitable for an exterior patio or should I get the epoxy paint that "freddymercurystwin" recommended ??

I just want to get it right this time .

Thanks

An industrial spec paint for £90 odd or a domestic garage paint for £12! It anit cheap but at least you know you're getting a decent product, it doesn't have to be battleship grey either! :LOL:

Don't forget to check the non slip qualities of these paints as well ( freddymercurystwin made a good suggestion ). I've seen some garage floors done with the paint and as soon as any water is on them they turn into ice rinks, which will probably make stairs twice as lethal. Use a non slip additive if need be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back