United Kingdom
hi

I painted by towel radiator last year applying the following process

removed all original paint
slight rust spots were sanded away
all back to bare metal
heat resistant paint applied

a year on its starting to show signs of ware around the bar ends,

I did not use a primer on the bare metal as the heat spray stated it was not required

could this be the problem ?

if so what primer would I use as it wouldn't be heat resistant

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
is there a heat resistant primer ?

If there isn't then the heat paint is useless isn't it ?

Do I need heat resistant of will an enamel paint do ?

Hammerite is the best all rounder for radiators and the like IMO. Self priming and given a couple of coats it's hard wearing & seems to stand the test of time. the more thin coats the better to last longer. On certain metals, alloys etc a primer is advised. You can get a high heat resistant version but normal hammerite seems to resist heat quite effectively

and enamel paint ?

heat resistant paint is quite thin

I want a satin black finish which hammerite don't do

I can do either process but just want it to be the best method

hammerite would be easier I guess as this does not need a primer and the paint is thicker

I can buy a high temp primer and use high temp paint also

whats the best way to stop any rust coming back through ?

if bare metal then hammerite anti rust primer with several thin sprayed top coats, leaving each to dry well, would be my recommendation. Brushed on can leave the coats quite thick.
Enamel can be funny stuff if not applied correctly and it can chip easier IMO

I would just use normal smooth hammerite. I have painted several white radiators and 3 years on, no issue. I know people that have painted their brake calipers with couple of coats of the normal smooth stuff not the high heat stuff and months later was still like new, so must be pretty tough & heat resistant to withstand that, piece of cake on a radiator I'd reckon.

oh I see, didn't realise that you had the paint. hammerite undercoat is designed for hammerite paints, not sure how it would react to enamel, if that's what you have

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back