Painting a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, our radiator is showing signs of paint peeling, i guess its as its close to the kitchen and where we hang the hand towel it gets splashes of water which must then boil up and damage the paint? anyway it has patches where the white has come off and bear metal (copper colour) is showing. there is also tiny flakes of rough paint that need to be removed first. but can i just sand this off with a fine sandpaper and then spray some paint on top (paint says its designed for radiators)

Sponsored Links
hello, our radiator is showing signs of paint peeling, i guess its as its close to the kitchen and where we hang the hand towel it gets splashes of water which must then boil up and damage the paint? anyway it has patches where the white has come off and bear metal (copper colour) is showing. there is also tiny flakes of rough paint that need to be removed first. but can i just sand this off with a fine sandpaper and then spray some paint on top (paint says its designed for radiators)
Replace it.rads are not mad expensive

If you're determined to just paint the radiator then smooth out the areas where paint is flaking with some 120grit sandpaper, use a stanley knife and remove any other loose paint around those areas that are already peeling.

Use a fine scotchbrite (or similar) pad to dull the rest of the paint (while you're doing this have your paint can in a bucket of warm water). Wipe the rad down with a rag covered in paint thinners or white spirit and then make sure it's all clean and dry. Shake the can for at least a min then spray on a light coat and let that dry, then repeat with another light coat and let that dry too. Then the proper top coat.

Sponsored Links
If you're determined to just paint the radiator then smooth out the areas where paint is flaking with some 120grit sandpaper, use a stanley knife and remove any other loose paint around those areas that are already peeling.

Use a fine scotchbrite (or similar) pad to dull the rest of the paint (while you're doing this have your paint can in a bucket of warm water). Wipe the rad down with a rag covered in paint thinners or white spirit and then make sure it's all clean and dry. Shake the can for at least a min then spray on a light coat and let that dry, then repeat with another light coat and let that dry too. Then the proper top coat.
In my experience once rads show rust,lose paint,bodging them up never looks right and buys you a bit of time......but potentially an unseen small leak knackers your carpet cieling or floor.

But what about fitting a new rad? That surely adds to the costs?
I did sand down with 120 grit. Sprayed a few coats and it looks ok from a distance. I can see where the flaking paint was and has been removed as the old paint on them must be pretty thick as the line between painted and bear rad is still visible.

IMG_20190922_153824.jpg

Maybe, but getting a plumber to drain down and replace corrosion inhibitor is.
it is a DIY site , would take longer to sand down and paint the piece of crap than it would to change it and add a full years of inhibitor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back