Painted wallpaper staining blocking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all ,
I hope someone can assist with the following issue I have.

I am wanting to perform a quick tidy/spruce up of my staircase ( I am planning to remodel the bathroom in the near future, so do not want to strip and re-wallpaper at the moment ).

The stairs have been previously emulsion painted over the vinyl wallpaper covering, but it appears as if the paint has sucked in humidity from the adjacent bathroom (this area is at the top of the stairs).

There is staining , but I am hopping to be able to seal this in with Bin 123 water based primer or would I be better with the shellac primer.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of how I can make good this staining so that it doesn ot bleed/come through.

I have a dehumidifier stationed at the top of the stairs for the wintertime.

This is the external wall and I have checked that there is no issue outside , I believe it is the humid air condensing onto the cooler wall during the colder months.

Any advice very gratefully received.

Many thanks Glenn

Attachments

• IMG_20230709_111736.jpg
    IMG_20230709_111736.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20230709_111804.jpg
    IMG_20230709_111804.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20230709_111808.jpg
    IMG_20230709_111808.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
Zinsser Bulls eye 123 would be the one to use (two coats), BIN is solvent based not suitable for an area that big, (you will be seeing pink elephants putting that much on in a confined area!);)
Can you improve ventilation in the bathroom?
One thing you might consider is repapering with thermal liner paper, expensive but I have found it an improvement.

Zinsser Bulls eye 123 would be the one to use (two coats), BIN is solvent based not suitable for an area that big, (you will be seeing pink elephants putting that much on in a confined area!);)
Can you improve ventilation in the bathroom?
One thing you might consider is repapering with thermal liner paper, expensive but I have found it an improvement.

I have painted whole room walls with BIN. I have had customers that wanted me to paint over wallpaper that I hung years earlier.

I used BIN tinted to (an approximation) of the paint colour they wanted. It provides an eggshell type finish. Two coats in one day, no smell when the customer gets home.

Price wise, it is more than twice the cost of Dulux Trade emulsion, but there is no risk of the waterbased wallpaper glue reactivating.

The solvent is alcohol and the smell dissipates within about 30 mins (as the paint starts to cure).

It provides a very durable finish- provided that you keep meths and household ammonia away from it.

I have in the past painted whole hallway walls with dead flat oil based paint. That stuff stank for days, and eventually yellows. Lovely and very durable matt finish though.

I must confess that I have never used 123 though. I have a mental block when it comes down to using water based products to deal with water related problems.

BIN is a much under-rated product and I can see why. When I first started using it, I would use throwaway brushes, until I discovered that household ammonia breaks down the shellac. I now use £15 brushes with it because I know that the ammonia removes all traces of the BIN. You can't use it with foam rollers though, The alcohol causes the roller to expand by about 200% and it becomes floppy and unusable.

Last edited:
Hi all, thanks for all your advice it really is appreciated.

Opps, when you say you use household ammonia, is that just standard bleach?

How do you use it, just wash your brushes as normal or like a brush store

Many thanks in advance for all your help

Regards Glenn

Sponsored Links
Hi all, thanks for all your advice it really is appreciated.

Opps, when you say you use household ammonia, is that just standard bleach?

How do you use it, just wash your brushes as normal or like a brush store

Many thanks in advance for all your help

Regards Glenn

Bleach is not the same as household ammonia.

I tend to pay about £2.50 per 500ml

I decant some in to a jar. If I have literally just used the brush. I dip it in the ammonia and can clean it a minute or two later (running it under water). I then put the lid back on the jar and the ammonia can be used a year or two later.

A brush that has become rock solid- pour the ammonia in to a container and leave it over night. Leave the container outside though, it stinks. In the morning the ammonia will have evaporated off and the brush can be cleaned under water. The liquid in that container will be water with white powder in the bottom. You can safely pour it down the sink and there will be no kind of staining.

If you use it with a rad roller, cut up a 2 pint plastic milk bottle. Dip the mini roller for an hour or two, then rinse in water. Again, you can pour the remaining ammonia in to a jar.

Officially, Zinsser recommend cleaning with meths, but I suspect that is simply down to the fact that ammonia fumes in a very confined area may be harmful.

Hi all, just to give an update on how I got on with my painting issue.
I used the shellec bin primer on the stains. It has covered the stains. The only issue wS that when the emulsion was applied it obviously dried different to the untreated areas and could be seen when the wall was viewed from the side.
It took an extra coat of emulsion to rectify the issue.
Hope that helps anyone else in the same boat.
Many thanks for all your assistance
Glenn

Thank you it's always nice when people take the trouble to post an update (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back