Painted Wardrobes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was wondering if someone could please give me some advice.
I have some old fitted wardrobes in my bedroom which were mahogany stained with varnish on top.
I wanted to paint them white so I lightly sanded them all over and have applied yesterday, with a roller, a coat of paint that was one coat (even though I was aware that it would be more than one coat) with no needed for prime as that was included within the paint, satin. This morning I have checked and it looks like the paint will easily scratch off which is no good for a wardrobe! I am now realising that maybe I should have primed them first? But I guess it’s to late ….sooooo my questions are:

1. Should I wait longer to see if the paint will be ok the longer I leave it? If so, for how long?

2. Is there a paint that I can just paint on now that wont chip (I am painting them white) I have been told Rustoleum oil based paint may work?

3. Can I apply another coat and maybe varnish over that to stop it from coming off?

Any help would be gratefully received, Thank you :D

Sponsored Links
The paint should harden in a few weeks. It will however be slightly more prone to chipping than paint over bare wood.

Please do not put oil based varnish over it. Once the varnish yellows it will look very streaky. I made that mistake years ago with dead flat varnish over emulsion

Shellac based paint- ie Zinsser BIN is very hard wearing but difficult to get a decent brush mark free finish

Have never used Rustoleum

Thanks you opps for your reply.....was wondering ....do you think if i left it for a couple of weeks and then covered it with a strong primer and repainted that would be better, or would the paint still scratch off? Thanks again :)

Sponsored Links
Hi I was wondering if someone could please give me some advice.
I have some old fitted wardrobes in my bedroom which were mahogany stained with varnish on top.
I wanted to paint them white so I lightly sanded them all over and have applied yesterday, with a roller, a coat of paint that was one coat (even though I was aware that it would be more than one coat) with no needed for prime as that was included within the paint, satin. This morning I have checked and it looks like the paint will easily scratch off which is no good for a wardrobe! I am now realising that maybe I should have primed them first? But I guess it’s to late ….sooooo my questions are:

1. Should I wait longer to see if the paint will be ok the longer I leave it? If so, for how long?

2. Is there a paint that I can just paint on now that wont chip (I am painting them white) I have been told Rustoleum oil based paint may work?

3. Can I apply another coat and maybe varnish over that to stop it from coming off?

Any help would be gratefully received, Thank you :D
use multi surface primer or zinzer to base the area then build up with undercoat and top coat

Hi....well I have now put a good primer on and all seems well :) ...was now wanting to know, if anyone could help again, what finshing coat to put on top?.... I dont really wanted it glossy so satin would be better....... Can I just but a normal satin emulsion or is there a better one to buy that is harder wearing for wardrobes? Thought I better ask first and not fall into the wrong trap again !..........Thanks in advance...again !!!

Emulsion is not a good idea.

You could use eggshell (a low sheen finish)- waterbased dries fastest but oil based is more durable in the long term (but v slow drying, smells and might yellow).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back