Painter spilt paint on new carpet :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Day one of five day painting and decorating job and I've just found a large paint spill on a new carpet. Very light grey emulsion on a dark brown carpet :(

A bit disappointed that nobody has said anything (they've done a poor job at trying to clean it). How should I handle this? They've been a lovely bunch of guys but obviously this is a massive problem for me.

Any tips before they come back tomorrow?!

Sponsored Links
Accidental Grey on Brown

Emulsion on carpet, 2023.

Our journey begins at the heart of the canvas - the carpet. The dark brown symbolizes the comfortable, the familiar, the status quo. It's the grounding foundation of any room, just as tradition and routine are to life. Upon this base, we encounter the stunningly abrupt light grey emulsion. Its icy hue represents a disruption, a stark contrast against the comforting brown backdrop. It has the audacity to exist where it traditionally shouldn't, but there it is, asserting its space.

The physicality of the piece mirrors the chaotic, unpredictable, and often nonsensical nature of life. The grey splatter, reminiscent of a Jackson Pollock piece, is the embodiment of randomness, an invasive and beautifully disruptive force against the uniformity of the brown carpet. It's a testament to the fact that life rarely goes as planned.

Furthermore, the subtle dilution of color, where attempts to clean the spillage have been made, only to spread it further, illustrates our human efforts to control and rectify chaos. It shows how our responses can sometimes amplify the disorder rather than suppress it, reminding us of our human frailty when faced with unintended consequences.

To the untrained eye, this may appear as an accident, a blunder, an error to be hastily corrected. But to the keen observer, this is a metaphorical landscape, a striking commentary on the delicate balance between order and chaos, control and surrender, predictability and surprise. It's a dance between the harmonious, consistent brown of life, and the erratic, unsettling grey of happenstance.

"Accidental Grey on Brown" is not merely a casualty of a day's work gone wrong. Instead, it's a bold emblem of life's unpredictable artistry, the poetic disarray of human existence, and the beauty that can be found in our most profound mistakes. So the next time you look at this piece, see not a stain, but a story; not a spill, but a saga. The saga of life, of change, and of the perpetual dance between the 'planned' and the 'unexpected'.

Accidents happen, they must own up to it.
The painters should have insurance and must be made to claim on this.

Do NOT accept any BS from them that it will wash out, get them to instruct and pay for a professional carpet cleaning company to rectify it.
Ensure that whatever it costs they do not increase your bill to pay for it.

Bio washing powder dissolved in warm water. Soak a cloth and leave it damp, lay cloth on carpet and give it 15 minutes to soften the paint then blot it to remove the paint, rinsing regularly. You can also try the same solution sprayed on. Try it on a small area first to check colour fastness.

For gloss paint use WD40, ask me how I know :mad:

Sponsored Links
My MIL spilt a load of white emulsion on one of my carpets once, lots of swearing and fussing on her behalf but she near enough cleaned it completely there and then bless her, point is if she could sort that in 20mins then decorators should have no problems.

Cut out the section with the paint on it and get it cleaned and then stick it back....:cool:

That’s awful ! Dark brown carpet .
But water based brush cleaner removes most paint and can be sponged out afterwards .

Do not attempt to correct it yourself, however nice the guys were its their responsability they should be insured , if you attempt tp correct it their Insurance Company will say you made it worse .

Obviously no use to you now but if planning a major redecorate/refresh you do the carpets last.
That said, there are plenty of cheap ways to protect floor coverings when painting- think 100 sq m of very thin polythene cost about £20 when i was tarting up a rental last year and saved me from almost invisible spatter and one major roller tray going over incident.
You have engaged professional decorators, they need to rectify.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back