Painting a fireplace hearth

R

robford50

Hi everyone - this is my first post and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice!

We've just moved into a victorian house and there is a fireplace is each bedroom. The surrounds have been very nicely restored by the previous owners, but the hearths are not in such good condition. I'd like to paint them black but wondered whether anyone can let me know which paint would be best. Bear in mind that we won't actually be using the fireplaces and they won't be walked on. Also, as you can see in the pictures I've attached, what looks like concrete has been added to repair the hearths - again, if you have any advice on something I should do to the concrete first then please let me know.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rob.

Sponsored Links
OOOOoooo...thats a tough one you have there mate..

The hearth looks like granite?...you could attempt to match it in with a marble paint effect but I think it would be fruitless..

Painting that type of surface can have very limited results..but id suggest you clean it down and give it a coat of dulux ultra grip first..

Depending on what you want to finish the job in will have a baring on the type of paint you use on the cement

Oil based finish..give it a coat of alkali resisting primer first..

Water based finish, give it a thin waterbased undercoat first.

Hi - I know you posted this a while ago and just wondering how you resolved it. I have the same type of fireplace hearths in three rooms -- they look to be cement or stone and were painted black at one point but are in need of improvement. The hearths are flush with the original pine flooring (same as in your photos) and I'm wondering whether to keep them as is or put some tiling etc over them -- I want to do whatever is most in keeping with the historical character of the Victorian building. If I keep them as is, is there a way to mend cracks and pock marks or should these also be kept as is? I think black paint would look fine but not sure how to proceed. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back