Painting a grubby path, advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a concrete path from my back door which is about 10ftx3ft. Its between two single story extensions and is north facing so never gets any sun and is often damp, so always goes green and horrible.

Can i paint it with something that will help to keep the green away or make it easier to keep clean and look a bit better.

many thanks Paul

Sponsored Links
Its algae growth; painting is unlikely to stop it forming & may make the path very slippery. You can get chemical treatments but they aren’t cheap & won't last that long or a weak bleach solution & scrub with a broom will kill it for a while but niether will do much for any grass or plants in the immediate area. I use a pressure washer on mine every spring, it comes up like new & will last until the following spring.

I think your missing the point; sand would stop it being “slippy” initially but sand mixed with paint would not last long (believe me, I've tried it) & then the bare patches will look even worse! The algae will still grow & the rough texture of the sand will give it an even better environment as it will hold much more moisture which the algae will absolutely love. Get yourself a 99 quid pressure washer, it will be cheaper in the long run & you can use it for all sorts of other stuff. ;)

Sponsored Links
yeah, the pressure washer treatment is really effective, we have a path that never sees sunlight , it used to fur-up with algae faster than you could *** ! a quick blast with high-pressure water every few months keeps it as clean & grippy as new ;)

Ok guys thanks for the advice, i will go down the pressure washer route then.

Cheers Paul :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back