Painting a light colour over a darker one a simple matter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

We bought some paint for our chimney stack which in the colour guide looked a grey / silvery tone ("lustrous") but on application is a distinctly purplish one - not what we wanted at all! :(
So, if we're to replace that with a preferable lighter colour would we get away with painting straight over it or will it be necessary to bring down the purple with an undercoat? The surface is plasterboard btw. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Difficult to say without seeing it.

I often use white Dulux trade matt emulsion to obliterate the colour before applying the new colour.

White matt is much cheaper and two coats is normally enough as a base.

A roller will give you a more even coverage. Allow each coat it to dry though before recoating.

if you are in a rush you can use shellac based white paint eg Zinssers BIN, it dries in minutes and covers even better but costs more and smells of alcohol.

Hi there

We bought some paint for our chimney stack which in the colour guide looked a grey / silvery tone ("lustrous") but on application is a distinctly purplish one - not what we wanted at all! :(
So, if we're to replace that with a preferable lighter colour would we get away with painting straight over it or will it be necessary to bring down the purple with an undercoat? The surface is plasterboard btw. Thanks in advance.

give it a couple of coats of white paint "match maker" = super cover 2 coats of that then apply the colour u want as the white will make the new colour show up better :) good luck :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much scottishlad, much appreciate it. Will be tackling it in the coming week, plus the entire sitting room, as the masking tape I used took away chunks of paint on the adjoining walls and coving. Don't think I'll get away with just touching up the offending bits! :oops:

Most masking tape is uv safe for about 16 hours, afterwhich time the glue hardens.

The blue stuff is safe for about 3 days.

Low tack tape will mitigate the risk of damaging the surface but costs more and doesn't stick very well.

I often make my masking tape less sticky buy sticking it to my teeshirt first.

Thanks very much scottishlad, much appreciate it. Will be tackling it in the coming week, plus the entire sitting room, as the masking tape I used took away chunks of paint on the adjoining walls and coving. Don't think I'll get away with just touching up the offending bits! :oops:

a low tack masking tape. its not expencive at all can be bought in most diy & home stores b&q wickes homebase etc or even wee paint shops.

a low tack masking tape. its not expencive at all can be bought in most diy & home stores b&q wickes homebase etc or even wee paint shops.

You're right I should have said that is relatively more expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back