Painting a shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rebuilt my shed three years ago and painted it using Cuprinol Total Woodcare Spruce Green colour and really happy with it. Just built a big garage extension to the shed using planed shiplap and now time to paint it. Had half a tin of the old paint left so used that and then went to B&Q for another tin. They don't stock it any more. Tried three Homebases, Wickes, another B&Q, Jewson, Travis Perkins and a couple of garden centres. Zilch.

So phoned Cuprinol and the chappie on their technical help line tells me they've stopped selling it as Total Woodcare, now called Ultimate Woodcare, but it's exactly the same stuff he tells me. Well he's a little liar.

Bought a couple of tins yesterday and sprayed the garage. Must say it's very watery and runs everywhere but using a brush as well as the sprayer, got a coat on. And it looks crap. Appearance is just like tanalised timber, very wishy washy slight green tinge.

OK, give it another coat you'd have thought.

Nope, second coat won't "stick" at all, just runs straight off. Beads up and despite my best efforts with a brush it just won't take.

So anyne any idea what I can do?

Quite happy to change product but I need something that's dark green, sort of Wimbledon green if you follow, that will absorb into the wood

Sponsored Links
I think you should contact Cuprinol again and see what they have to say, I wouldn't apply anymore paint until you can determine what's gone wrong.

Dec

Thanks for the feedback and yes I've done that and their Technical helpline are awful.

Girlie I spoke to first of all said it's my fault for not putting the second coat on straight away. I told her I tried to do that but it wouldn't take.

"Ah" she says, "you've got to leave it to weather"

"How long?" says I .

"Difficult to say" she tells me, "could be a couple of weeks or a few months."

"Well that's not right," says I, "it looks dreadful and I'm not leaving it looking like this for my neighbour to take the p*ss out of me."

"No need to use that sort of language" she tells me "it must be something you did".

So I explain again what I did and she says it's all my fault for using the wrong product.

"Well that's what your colleague told me to use yesterday."

"Oh no he can't have done," she says.

"Ok," I ask her, "how do we move on, what product can I paint on top of this Ultimate rubbish."

"Well" she says, "it's difficult cos the wax won't let anything adhere to it."

"OK" I try getting a bit exasperated, "what paint do you or Ronseal sell that's not water based?"

"Yes she says that's what you need, an oil based paint."

"So what do you have?"

"Nothing," she tells me and then starts off on a diatribe about the virament.

Anyway their Tech helpline was anything but, so I went back to B&Q and had a browse and ended up trying one of their tester pots of Cuprinol Shades Somerset Green furniture paint. And it works fine. Sticks straight to the Ultimate crap and I've now given the whole garage a coat and it now looks excellent.

But why doesn't their Tech helpline know this?

Sponsored Links
Oooh you'll go to hell Cumbriaman, straight to hell. No passing Go and collecting £200, go straight to hell :evil:

cuprinol, if you leave the first coat for more than 4 hours the second coat will not take due to the oils creating a barrier. you will need to wipe with meths. not turps. and then put next coat on at once. it will then adhere.

I have had nothing but bad luck with Cuprinol and Ronseal products lately, and I will never use either again.

I have experienced exactly what you have described, also found the stuff virtually washes off in the rain.

Utter rubbish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back