Painting Aluminium Threshold Bar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be painting the front door soon and would like to paint the weather / rain threshold bar - similiar to this https://www.screwfix.com/p/stormgua...aught-rain-excluder-pol-aluminium-0-91m/90693.

The one I have is a gold / brass finish and the door furniture is chrome so look odd. I could change to the silver aluminium finish but I think that I want the bar to be the same colour as the door. Is there any particular preparation I need to do before I paint the aluminium - metal primer or undercoat?

Sponsored Links
Bare aluminium - I use Hammerite Special Metals Primer (you can get it at Halfords etc.). Not cheap but seems to do the job pretty well.

Anodised aluminium - as yours might be if it's a gold/brass colour - needs an etch primer to get paint to stick really well without chipping and peeling. These primers have an acidic content to bond into the surface of difficult metals. Snag - they tend to be found mainly in rattle cans, though you will find brush-on etch primers if you have a good dig about. Not cheap either though.

Bare aluminium - I use Hammerite Special Metals Primer (you can get it at Halfords etc.). Not cheap but seems to do the job pretty well.

Anodised aluminium - as yours might be if it's a gold/brass colour - needs an etch primer to get paint to stick really well without chipping and peeling. These primers have an acidic content to bond into the surface of difficult metals. Snag - they tend to be found mainly in rattle cans, though you will find brush-on etch primers if you have a good dig about. Not cheap either though.

Yes, I think it is anodised aluminium. I will have a look for an acid etch primer. It looks a bit odd at the minute with gold and silver finishes

Surely it would be less work, achieve a better result and possibly even be cheaper to just replace the threshold with one of the appropriate colour?

Sponsored Links
Possibly, although I have not yet seen one in either white or black. It is one of these

would this one fit

Misread your post, I assumed you wanted it in gold to match the door furniture, and that's a pretty common colour for thresholds.

would this one fit

I think I might give it a try - I had not spotted this one on the website. If all else fails I can paint the old one and put it back!
Misread your post, I assumed you wanted it in gold to match the door furniture, and that's a pretty common colour for thresholds.
The door furniture used to be brass but I changed it years ago as it was badly worn. Just never really thought about the weather bar and it looks a bit odd

Sand, prime, and paint. I did that to a shiny aluminium rain deflector and it worked fine with zinsser 123 water primer and 10 year oil paint. But it isn't a wearing surface and there's no mechanical challenge to the paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back