Painting an exterior retaining wall!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our garden is split with the upper level about 4ft above the part that bounds our house. The upper section has a rendered brick retainer wall. Last summer we painted the wall for the first time in 7 years since we moved in. Now its turning spring the paint is bubbling in big patches and looks absolutely crap.

Any suggestions for painting a rendered exterior wall in a specific colour?

Sponsored Links
I dont know if this will be any help to you, and maybe someone can advise you better, but many years ago when I worked for a firm and I had to do exterior work, we would have to use a stabeliser liquid on the walls of a house that hadnt been painted, IE, pebbledash, or just ordinary rendered walls, and then paint with a good quality exterior paint.

Products have come on leaps and bounds over the years, so I dont know if this stuff is still being used.

Ponnymeister said:
Our garden is split with the upper level about 4ft above the part that bounds our house. The upper section has a rendered brick retainer wall. Last summer we painted the wall for the first time in 7 years since we moved in. Now its turning spring the paint is bubbling in big patches and looks absolutely rubbish.

Any suggestions for painting a rendered exterior wall in a specific colour?
Its a bit late, are we talking garden wall?
Was it bare render?
Thing is seems what you have is a garden wall with all that earth behind it and, probably no membrane so, you have a permanantly damp wall. Soo afraid thats why it looks rubbish in a very short time.

Sponsored Links
Yep..

Dont spend too much on the paint..just keep touching it up, stabilser will only bind down powery surfaces and it has to be able to absorb into whatever you put it on..so pebbles stone and some rocks are out for a start.

You only hope is to either dig a trench in front of the wall and build a retaining wall...or put a damp proof membrane in front of it..or build a nice wall in front of it...sandwiching membrane between

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back