Painting an uneven concrete floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a concrete floor in a Victorian brick greenhouse I am renovating to a sort of garden room and was going to paint it with garage floor paint, however on closer inspection it's a bit more uneven than I would like.
I thought I'd lay some self-levelling compound first but the garage floor paint I was going to use (https://www.toolstation.com/ronseal-diamond-hard-garage-floor-paint/p32891) specifically says it isn't for use on self-levelled floors.

I specifically want a floor people can come in with muddy feet from the garden, and get washed easily so is self-levelling going to be a problem, or do I just need a different paint?

Also, there is a bit of damp in part of the slab where it rests on soil, will these sort of paints cope with that? I already treated the walls with tanking slurry and the edge of the floor but not the whole area.

Sponsored Links
Use a different paint. Pretty sure I used the Leyland stuff on a concrete floor with slc patches, its done 8 years now with no major issues (not heavily trafficked though). The damp percolating up into the slab may be a problem.
Suggest big doormats (like the ones you get in shops).

I did wonder if the bigger issue with DLC was that it doesn't work well under heavy load - not an issue for me but I'll look at a better paint anyway. I feel like the paint itself would be waterproof but my worry is it might detach from damp concrete. I could possibly do a sealant first and paint on top, though I do see now you can buy combination DPC/paints, seems like "epoxy garage floor paint" is the thing I'm after. Pricey though. BlackJack is cheap but not suitable to walk on, I would have to cover the floor after and initially at least, I don't want to add a flooring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back