painting anaglypta embossed paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've put up a few lengths of embossed paper to match some already up in a house we've purchased.
How long should the paper be left ( to dry out), before it can be safely emulsioned over?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Baz,

If the Paper is embossed, then there is a strong possibility that an emulsion paint will not be happy, to both secure a lasting result and allow the emulsion to bond. Paint the paper with a thinned oil based undercoat prior to the emulsion.

Dec

Baz,

If the Paper is embossed, then there is a strong possibility that an emulsion paint will not be happy, to both secure a lasting result and allow the emulsion to bond. Paint the paper with a thinned oil based undercoat prior to the emulsion.

Dec

An interesting idea.

Alternatively you could paint a 30 cm wide strip with just emulsion and see how it takes, before launching into the expense, hassle and smell of oil based undercoat.

Let us know how you get on!

Sponsored Links
Yes, an interesting idea. Yet the longevity and promotion of a water based coating can be more of a disaster rather than a cure, therefore in this instance I would be inclined to put up with the smell and ensure a lasting result.

Dec

I presume that one of the newer acrylic based undercoats may have the same effect as using the emulsion straight away, as they are both water based??????????

After recent tests yes those systems can promote early breakdown, as you have said you have only hung a few lengths so thin around 10%. There is no substitute for longevity and an oil based u/c is the cheapest option.

Dec

Surely it must depend on the type of embossed wallpaper OP has used. Some embossed anaglypta wallpapers are specifically designed to be painted with emulsion. I cannot think you would need to coat them with oil based undercoat before emulsioning them.

Indeed it does Emily, yet as you said some, and I don't know which do I. So perhaps it would be wise to offer a sense of caution.

Dec

Indeed it does Emily, yet as you said some, and I don't know which do I. So perhaps it would be wise to offer a sense of caution.

Dec

Or simply read the label on the embossed wallpaper! It will say whether it can be painted or not.

The home belonged to my mother and she never threw anything away. The roll of paper had been in the loft for close on 20 years, in a box , BUT not in its original wrapper.
I had to remove some paper from the wall for a plumbing project, so finding this long lost roll was a God send. It meant I could match up the still very good decor.
Mum had painted the original a silky white. I just want to match the newly hung paper with this.
Obviously the whole of the hall will receive a new coat of paint when I do.

That was a find!

I may have to defer to "TheDec's" superior familiairity with 20 year old embossed anaglyptas, but I am still struggling to believe that they will need oil painting before the application of emulsion paint.

Unless their surface is coated with some sort of plastic/polymer, they should be fine to paint with either matt or sillk emulsion.

That was a find!

I may have to defer to "TheDec's" superior familiairity with 20 year old embossed anaglyptas, but I am still struggling to believe that they will need oil painting before the application of emulsion paint.

Unless their surface is coated with some sort of plastic/polymer, they should be fine to paint with either matt or sillk emulsion.

I have been a decorator for some 20 odd years, and never put an oil based paint on Anaglypta (unless it was in order to cover a stain) before applying emulsion.

If the paper is actually Anaglypta, as in made by the company Anaglypta, then their specification has always been emulsion, thin the first coat with 5-10% water. This applies to most embossed papers produced over the last 30 years and more e.g. superglypta, vinylglypta, embossed blown vinyls such as permaboss, fresco etc. If it's Lincrusta, unlikely I'd think, then it must be de-greased with white spirit and primed, acrylic primer is fine to use after de-greasing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back