Painting wallpaper embossed ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise how to paint a wallpapered ceiling please? The paper is embossed and has already been painted in white emulsion-it just needs refreshing. What sort of tools are required? Do I use a paintbrush or a roller? Does the paint need to be watered down? Any advice will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I prefer medium pile roller on a roller pole and thin paint about 5%.

Our wallpaper expert says: it is advisable to check if the ceiling has any staining such as nicotine as this will burn through any subsequent water based paints.
If ceiling is stained apply a coat of thinned undercoat by brush first 75% paint to 25% white spirit.
If ceiling is not stained you can go straight ahead and apply matt emulsion, which should be 80% paint to 20% water.
Paint the edges first by brush and then you can use a roller to cover the main part of ceiling. best to have a suitable roller tray and roller extension pole to avoid climbing up and down ladders.
Best to apply two coats.

Sponsored Links
Some emulsions do need thinning a little just to ease flow but 20% is daft as it'll more than likely mean you have to apply an extra coat. Can't do better than Johnstones covaplus its very good and there are far better alternatives to stinky slow drying OB u/c for stains but i guess thats why he's a wallpaper expert and your a spammer, wouldn't go anywhere near your company with that sort of advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back