Painting area behind radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My radiator's come off and detached as shown in the picture. I wanted to know if I will need to prime that area or simply paint over the existing paint? I've never painted before so any basic/starter tips would be welcome. Will I need to detach it completely (that won't be possible!)

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Radiator.jpeg
    Radiator.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
You can just paint and repair holes, did it fall off ? Should be possible to replace brackets and lift back on to them without disconnecting .

You can just paint and repair holes, did it fall off ? Should be possible to replace brackets and lift back on to them without disconnecting .
It didn't completely fall off. The pipes appear to be intact.

Sponsored Links
If that is a new build with cardboard walls you will have a job fixing the brackets back unless you can move them. Again if it is a cardboard wall you will need to use the correct wall plugs for cardboard walls which it doesn't look like the original installer did. Also if the pipes are fixed properly then the chances are that they will now be bent and will bend again when the rad is replaced and possibly kink and split and that is going to add another complication to the mix. As far as painting is concerned just paint it with the same colour magnolia. B&Q do a reasonable emulsion matching and mixing service. And if that is a cardboard wall then a couple of coats will be needed.

Just fill and sand the holes. No other prep, other than dusting down is needed. Your plumber will be able to move the radiator fixings- the old holes will never be strong enough to use.

The wall has insulation (foam, pls see picture) Will this need any special fixing?
1705739135836.jpeg
1705739154434.jpeg
1705739167547.jpeg

What are the brackets like? It looks like the wrong fixings have been used in the wall. You may need some hollow wall anchors but I can't quite tell from the picture. To get the rad back in the original place it looks like you really need to fill the holes up good which will then be no good for the anchor fixings.

Are the brackets fixed to each column or can you detach and move to a different position. I know normal column radiators have unfixed brackets

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back