Painting radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I bought some radiator paint to paint one of our radiators. I had already took the radiator off the wall and so painted it whilst lying horizontal on a stool a i thought this would stop the paint dripping. I sanded the original painted surface with a fine sandpaper and then applied the first coat. The paint had lots of bubbles in it and when these popped they left lots of little circles of unpainted area. A second coat was applied and the same happened. How many coats do i need to do. What is the best way to get a smooth flawless finish. Should i paint with the radiator in situ. ANy tips would be welcome please. cheers.

Sponsored Links
I never use radiator paint, but I remember the last time I used it was a good few years ago, and you had to have the rad on, it didnt work on cold rads, I dont know if its made different now, but I use oilbase, either gloss, satinwood or eggshell.

Hi

It sounds like silicon; silicon is in allsorts of house hold products including spray polish, and is extremely difficult to get shut of. You may have sanded the surface but the silicon is still left. If it is silicon you will need to wash the radiators in anti silicon wash. Your local auto paint suppler should be able to supple you with a product could Panel Wipe this is the same thing.

A sure sign of silicon is the small pooling of the paint which looks like oil on water and when the paint dries in leaves a mark that looks like there is no paint that spot.

To get a smooth flawless finish all depends on how much work you want to put in, like the old saying you only get out what you put in.

• Re-prep the radiators i.e. fine sand removing all imperfections
• Wash the radiators using a anti silicon wash.
• Remove all dust using dusting brush and tack cloth. The tack cloth lifts the final dust that the brush leaves.
• Using a good quality bush paint the indentations of the radiator and then take a 100mm (4”0 ) foam roller the paint over the radiator including the areas that you have used a paint bush on.
• The roller will spread the paint evenly leaving no brush marks and at the same time take out the brush marks that you have just put on.
• But you will need to work fast and make a little paint go a long way. Thinner the paint the better the surface finishes.
• Use good quality oil based paint as this will lend it self to the roller and will not dry to quick so you will be able to lay the paint off and thus remove any brush marks.

Your other alternative is to have the radiators sprayed by your local car repair shop. But they may say no if you have put any paint on your self over the original finish, this is due that they will use cellulose based paint which wont take to normal household paint.

It is best to paint the radiators lying down if possible, but paint runs are due to much paint being applied but using a roller and making the paint go a long way you could paint the radiators in situ.

It goes with out saying that you should apply a under coat and a top coat de-nibbing between coats.

Cleaning the roller: don’t take a sealable plastic freezer bag and put the roller in the bag with a very small amount of white sprit. Massage the roller in the white spirit, seal the bag make until required the next time. When you come to re-use the roller before you apply any new paint to the roller, roll out on some old cardboard to remove the white sprit.

Sorry if this is a little long winded but I hope it helps.

I have just done a small job and the customer insisted I painted her rads with emulsion!!...she didnt want to go to the expense of buying a small tin of satin or eggshell to match the wall colour (even though they are loaded!)

In fairness she did say that she appreciated I didnt like doing it and would do it herself it I really had a problem doing it...I said I didnt mind as long as there would be no come backs..

Its one of the biggest 'no no's in decorating ...however..she has done other rads herself and they are solid...years down the line.

Makes you wonder doesnt it.

Sponsored Links
I have just done a small job and the

Its one of the biggest 'no no's in decorating ...however..she has done other rads herself and they are solid...years down the line.

Yep done same myself. Did an old rad in my study 3yr ago with emulsion I used on walls, didnt even rub it down as knew it was going to go erm sometim, replaced rad last week and finish was still sound :rolleyes:

But normally I just rub over a radiator to dull the gloss , wash down, and paint with ordinary trade gloss paint only, One coat usally does it purrfect, I thin the gloss slightly, put it on a little heavier than normal, and lay off evenly up and down quite quickly and gently to get rid of brush marks. When finished I keep checking for any runs and stipple out any that might appear. for about 10 min. Leaves it looking like its been sprayed....Carefull with taking off and painting rads laid down, as too much paint may puddle in the columns and shrivel.. have seen this recently.. Not my workk tut lol

happy xmas all

I have just done a small job and the customer insisted I painted her rads with emulsion!!...she didnt want to go to the expense of buying a small tin of satin or eggshell to match the wall colour (even though they are loaded!)

In fairness she did say that she appreciated I didnt like doing it and would do it herself it I really had a problem doing it...I said I didnt mind as long as there would be no come backs..

Did one for a reputable paint manufacturer ;) a few weeks back, (customer complaint) she painted her walls in light and space and because the tin said for walls and ceilings and did not say do not use on metalwork she painted her three rads with it :eek: Didn't turn her rads on all summer. When she did it stunk and I mean STUNK. She phoned customer service and because its an odour it is under H&S so they paid me to go and paint with 2 x coats of hammerite rad paint (waterbased) Happy days, no smell and a big cheque :mrgreen: Have seen rads painted in emo before and they do last from what I can see but your right Zampa.........it don't feel right doing it and def don't do it in light and space :rolleyes:

e to go and paint with 2 x coats of hammerite rad paint (waterbased)
Hmm. Thats interesting I did'nt know there was a water based version.. Any Good ?

e to go and paint with 2 x coats of hammerite rad paint (waterbased)
Hmm. Thats interesting I did'nt know there was a water based version.. Any Good ?

Yep! Got it in a gloss finish. First time I had used it. Had to be waterbased re the lack of odour Same as all the other waterborne ones so I used flowetrol just in case :D Coated first day direct to what she had put on. (prep first with wet and dry) second coat next day. Good finish and no dragging (Flowetrol???) All was spec by the tech people at manufactures. Would use again if pushed but still prefer my oil base
l

link here mate got mine from Brewers http://www.hammerite.com/uk/products/ps_radiator_paint.html

Thanks. Looking for odourlous, I have got a few to do on a job where the lady is allergic to well anything :rolleyes: guess you'll know what I mean :LOL: She will love it when I say dont use rads for 24 hr :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back