Painting bathroom vanity cabinet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

The missus is wanting to paint our tired old bathroom vanity unit, but both she and I are rubbish at painting and as its something we are going to look at every day want to make the best job possible.

I presume a good start is to give it a light sand to "key" the surface, but after that i'm a bit lost as for

* Whether I need to use a primer
* What paint to use for the final finish
* Do I need to sand between coats?

Cheers for any advice!

Matt

Sponsored Links
I usually (as u say) sand lightly, a scouring pad (scotchbright) is usefull as you dont want to make scoremarks that will show through the finished coat. Then a clean with a rag damped in white spirit. It seems to be melamine? or a factory laquer? So to make a good base I use this http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=10 You can get it in small tins but is pricey.
Followed by two coats of satinwood (preferred) or your choice of paint. Satinwood don't need undercoat, stir well and thin a little with white spirit to help it flow out with no brush marks. Solvent best in bathroom.
Or. if, the existing finish is still pretty sound and you dont want a paint finish, a couple of coats of ronseal quickdrying stained satin varnish brings these up presentable.

Happy Painting :LOL:

I usually (as u say) sand lightly, a scouring pad (scotchbright) is usefull as you dont want to make scoremarks that will show through the finished coat. Then a clean with a rag damped in white spirit. It seems to be melamine? or a factory laquer? So to make a good base I use this http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=10 You can get it in small tins but is pricey.
Followed by two coats of satinwood (preferred) or your choice of paint. Satinwood don't need undercoat, stir well and thin a little with white spirit to help it flow out with no brush marks. Solvent best in bathroom.
Or. if, the existing finish is still pretty sound and you dont want a paint finish, a couple of coats of ronseal quickdrying stained satin varnish brings these up presentable.

Happy Painting :LOL:

Thanks for that, ended up getting drunk this weekend and putting it off!

But will get the stuff and have a crack at it next weekend.

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back