Painting Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

We are having our bathroom redone, and I will have to re-paint some of the walls.

Reading on here, people suggest to steer clear of "special" bathroom and kitchen paint, and instead use a good silk emulsion.

Is this still the best idea?

I usually sugar soap, then put on some brilliant white undercoat, and then apply the emulsion. Is this still the best process in a bathroom?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hmm..it should be ok..but kitchen and bathroom paint is a bit tempremental..and you might have compatability problems...so id suggest you give it a good rub down first to get a key.

You could have achieved the same result with a coule of coats of white or pale grey matt emulsion..(asumming the walls had emulsion before)

Anyway...kitchen and bathroom paint, some painters like it some dont..personally I dont its difficult to apply and has a tendency to run and sag (more so with a based like oil based undercoat.

Its clever marketing IMO..people are led to beleive its the only thing for kitchens and bathrooms..it isnt.

You can use more or less anything...think about bit sites, most contractors use non vinyl emulsion, not the best choice though as it doesnt take to wiping..vinyl matt emulsion is fine as is silk, mig sheen or acrylic eggshell..its all down the the amount of air circulation you have.

Hope that helps...

Sponsored Links
What's the Crown/Dulux Matt Emulsion one can buy in B&Q etc, is this vinyl?

When I search on the net, vinyl matt only seems to be a trade thing.

Cheers.

All the stuff you see in B an Q etc will be vinyl matt/silk..unless it says 'paint for new plaster'

Look closely on the tin it normally says vinyl matt...its not just a trade thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back