Painting Bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

I ve decided to paint my bedroom which has dark red carpet<im keeping> im looking to paint the walls and the ceiling neutral or cream, would i beable to paint the wall and ceiling the same colour ie neutral or cream?

Sponsored Links
Sure.

There's no reason why you couldn't paint the walls and ceiling the same colour.

What made you think you couldn't do that?

most homes i ve in, the ceilings are white and the walls a different colour<be it off white> I thought the combo would look silly as i ve never seen it before!

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
Hey it's your bedroom, you can paint it whatever colour you want.

Kills me to say it but I agree with gcol... ;)

There are no rights an wrongs...its all about what you like and what you dont like..

But 'ill give you a tip...you may want to try lightning the wall colour by 50% and using that for the ceiling...the ceiling will still stand out..but youl have an overall softer effect, ive done it loads of times, customers actually think the ceiling is white until they hold something white against it.

Its useful when your faced with a room that has no other white in it...some people feel obliged to paint a ceiling white..but it can look really harsh if its the only white paint in the room..so shade it down with a colour used somewhere else.

Allymillsy:

The only reason you see ceilings painted with a white flat paint is:

1. The light color of the ceiling reflects as much light as possible, thereby maximizing the usable light in the room

2. A flatter gloss is practical for a ceiling because they are often illuminated at sharp angles by ceiling mounted light fixtures and sunlight shining in through windows that come up to within a few inches of the ceiling. The human eye notices roughness on a flat surface not be the roughness itself, but by the way light reflects differently where the surface is rough. A flat paint scatters the light it reflects, and therefore it helps camoflage the scattering caused by any imperfections in the ceiling plastering. As a result, you don't notice surface defects in the plaster nearly as much.
(and, truth be known, many new homes come with dead flat paint on all the walls and ceilings to hide the plastering problems as much as possible and therefore minimize the number of complaints the builder has to deal with from his customers. had the plastering subcontractor done a better job, it wouldn't be necessary to hide those problems with flat paint.)

Those are really the only reasons why ceilings will often be painted a flat white.

any question, what colour for the doors and skirting, do them the same colour as the walls or an off colour?

Typically the woodwork would be white or magnolia, but again it doesn't really matter - paint it whatever colour you want. It'll depend on what you think will go with the red carpet better. Bear in mind though, that if you paint it white, it'll eventually go slightly yellow in colour and will need painting sooner than if you did it another colour (Nestor did some good posts on white paint going yellow if you wanna search the forum for them).

It's not unusual to paint the ceiling white, or wall colour (if pale) or a lighter shade of the walls colour (e.g. "rose white" if you have pink walls).

If you paint the ceiling darker than the walls it will feel very strange and give the impression it is pushing down at you.

If the walls are fairly light in colour you can paint the woodwork white, but if they are darker they may look better in a darker gloss toning with the wall colour and carpet.

On the Dulux website you can make it give you a colour picture of a room with the colours you choose.

If you pain the ceiling, and the walls, and the woodwork al the same colour, you may think it rather unsatisfying (I've done it!!) and you will find the same colour looks slightly different on walls and woodwork.

gcol said:
Typically the woodwork would be white or magnolia, but again it doesn't really matter - paint it whatever colour you want. It'll depend on what you think will go with the red carpet better. Bear in mind though, that if you paint it white, it'll eventually go slightly yellow in colour and will need painting sooner than if you did it another colour (Nestor did some good posts on white paint going yellow if you wanna search the forum for them).

On Gcols point...if you are a bit concerned about yellowing then theres always water based gloss or satin..

Paint, oil based especially needs two things to keep it white..light and coolness...a warm dark room will send it yellow in no time at all....water based is a good alternative, once you have got used to the different application techniques...its a bit like glossing with vinyl silk...but it does have a lot of advantages.

Pinting the doors and skirtings etc the same as the walls is again personal preferance....pros..you'l end up with quite a soft peaceful look to the room especially if its painted with a pale colour...ive seen it done with 'the builders favourite' magnolia...walls ceilings and woodwork...and it worked a treat.....cons..the room can look a little shapeless without the sharper chrisp lines to trim it of...ever noticed the fromt of an house with all the features painted the same colour...then seeing the same style house with things like banding, cills, plinghts, and the quoin stones painted a lighter tint..

Picking colours and colour schemes for people is one thing a lot of us dekkies avoid..we can give out bits of general advice, but the final result should really be what you want yourself.

If you go fro a cream then white ceilings and woodwork should look fine..it will have a sharp fresh appearance...if you bring the white down a few shades for both ceiling and woodwork then it will give you a softer look...

You need to think about what you want out of the room...

painting the room is in view of selling the house in around 6 months time, still go with the idea>?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back