Painting cast iron downpipes - how to prepare?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have to paint some cast iron guttering and downpipes - they haven't been done for a long time - there is alot of flaky paint. What is the best way to prepare? Should I remove the whole lot with paintstripper and scraper or wire brush - I am sure that is going to be like scratching nails down a chalkboard :(  Or can I just remove the flaky bits with sandpaper? I have no experience with cast iron - any tips gratefully received! Tks. LB

Sponsored Links
If badly rusted remember you will never stop the rust coming back not matter how much time and materials you put into it. So I would not strip off.
Basic: Clean out gutters with wire brush, scrape any loose off, dust out then prime any bare metal with a good quality rust inhibiting primer (rustoleum combi primer will hold rust staining back for at least a yr ) Then I use up any old oil based paints (sludge paint) which I have left over from other jobs. (recycling the traditional way:cool: ) Ok thats the inside of gutters..lol Outside and pipework. I Use various scrapers and abrasives 80/100 g ally oxide basicly to get the loose off and all that scale twixt back of gutter and facia boards. (a piece of abrasive wrapped round a scraper is good for this). Then generally clean/ dust off. prime any bare metal then undercoat and gloss. If you want to impress give it two coats of gloss this should last at least 7 yrs. This kind of job I do wear me goggles, hat and a pair of gloves.
Some will say use hammerite. I have been verrrrry dissapointed with hammerite.. I just use a qualty trade gloss/u/c Dulux, johnstones, crown etc. I wouldnt shell out on weathershield for metal's as weathershield is meant to combat movement in wood.
Phew good luck..

So I would not strip off.
Basic: Clean out gutters with wire brush, scrape any loose off, dust out then prime any bare metal with a good quality rust inhibiting primer (rustoleum combi primer will hold rust staining back for at least a yr ) Then I use up any old oil based paints (sludge paint) which I have left over from other jobs. (recycling the traditional way:cool: ) Ok thats the inside of gutters..lol Outside and pipework. I Use various scrapers and abrasives 80/100 g ally oxide basicly to get the loose off and all that scale twixt back of gutter and facia boards. (a piece of abrasive wrapped round a scraper is good for this). Then generally clean/ dust off. prime any bare metal then undercoat and gloss. If you want to impress give it two coats of gloss this should last at least 7 yrs. .

Confidentincompetent - thank you so much! Especially the part - I would not strip off - I thought I hadn't spotted anyone else doing that! I don't feel it is such a daunting task now - thought I am sure I will when I am up there :D LB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back