Painting Coving Which May Have Been Painted with Gloss Before

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We want to give our rooms a quick refresh as we plan to stay here for a few years but one thing I have noticed is I am not sure if the coving has been painted with gloss by the last owner. To me it has a shiny finish but I cant tell if that's silk or gloss

Should I just rub down the coving to key the surface and then apply some kind of undercoat so that I can paint it with emulsion when I do the celling and walls after or is there another method.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Rub down lightly and give it a coat of Zinsser Bullseye 123 sorted!(y)

Many Thanks for that info on the primer. I will look it up on Screwfix.

What grit sandpaper would you use on the coving before applying the primer then paint.

Also off subject a little but the walls and celling have a shine to them as well so looks like vinyl silk was used before. Am I best to use vinyl silk again if I don't want any issues. The walls are perfect and only need a sand down and clean before painting I think.

Chris

Rub down lightly and give it a coat of Zinsser Bullseye 123 sorted!(y)

May be 120 or 250 you only want to lightly key the surface, you can paint vinyl silk over silk OK, the problem often comes with matt over silk it may craze or adhere poorly.
Using a soft sheen paint (a sort of halfway house paint but not that common these days) or Zinsser 123 as a primer is the way to go, if you want to use matt.

Sponsored Links
Think I will vinyl silk the celling white and prime and vinyl silk on coving white then paint walls silk as they already have silk on celling and walls so will make life easier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back