Painting Different Garage Wall Surfaces

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning on painting the garage which is not currently painted and consists of a skimmed ceiling, 2 aircrete walls (white powdery blocks) and 1 wall of concrete block.

Was just thinking about using a white silk emulsion with a first coat of 50/50 paint/water mix, second coat of 70/30 and final (?) coat of paint.

Does the above sound right. I'm assuming I don't really need to treat the different surfaces any different. Also, would a bog standard paint be sufficient or is it better to go for a certain brand/type of paint.

Any views much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
Sounds good to me. Any old cheap contract matt would do.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Would masonry paint be overkill for what I need? Also, if I was to use a standard emulsion, would it be better to go for a vinyl or non-vinly emulsion. It would be useful if whatever I used could be wiped down occasionally and stand a bit of wear and tear.

In all honesty I not really up to speed on the different types of paints available and suitable for this job.

Thanks again,

Damian

Sponsored Links
The masonry paint has so much more 'body' & will cover blocks etc. Buy Crown Stronghold for the same price as standard vinyl matt, no watering down required..

Hi,

Will this masonry paint be suitable for the plaster ceiling as well. Do you get a silk finish with it and can wipe it down?

Thanks for your help,

Damian

Ooer, I read your post too quickly, didnt realize you wanted silk...
Why would you want silk, terrible stuff , not durable at all & looks 'tacky'..
;)
..There really should be a 'tongue-in-cheek' smiley ... ;)

I just want something that is durable, can be wiped down if necessary, reflects the light around the garage and can be used on aircrete, concrete and plaster.

Does masonry paint fit the bill?

Thanks,

Damian

Well my garage and shed are both painted in white Crown Stronghold (Its not quite matt but more 'satin' when viewed close-up) and its tough enough to withstand knocks scrapes & oil stains, from my bike rebuilds, wiped off with a turpsy rag !:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back