Painting doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need help please. We recently had a decorator paint our living room and also the interior doors. I felt the doors needed more coats so I did another 2 coats but have just realised that I've used emulsion when the decorator would have used dulux satinwood. What should I do? Can I re-paint over the emulsion with satinwood? I'm so annoyed with myself and any help would be appreciated as I really don't know much about decorating (as you can tell from my mistake).
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Should've left it to the professionals.
Anyhow, you could scratch lightly the emulsion and go over with the satin, durability might be a problem.
Other option is complete stripping.
More and more coats, can you still open and close the doors?

Thanks for you reply. I know I should have left it to the professionals but I could still see the yellow from the old gloss coming through after the decorator had left.
There's no problem opening and closing the doors and they look good to be fair but no good if I've used the wrong paint so would rather correct it if I can.

If you can stick another couple of coats in without making the paint too tick, sand down the emulsion (i don't mean remove it, i mean give it a scratch with 120 paper so to have a key for the satin to grip on).
Then paint the satin, 2 thin coats with a fine sanding (even 400) in between.
If the emulsion is of good quality it should last, otherwise it will peel off.
In that case a complete stripping would be the only solution.
But for the time being i think it would be mad to strip all the doors.

Sponsored Links
Hi jbs123,
I would rub down the doors lightly with a spongey sanding pad.
Undercoat the door with an oil based undercoat and then a top coat or two of satinwood.
Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back