Painting doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have several flush hardboard doors to paint, its a job that I have always hated as the results are never twice the same. I am using a one coat white gloss paint and have tried application with a brush and also a paint pad neither of which are completely satisfactory although sometimes passable. As I have a compressor and a couple of spray guns from some years ago I wondered if that could be the solution? I am not a paint sprayer and would welcome advice on paint thinning and pressures to use?

Thanks in advance,

Baz :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Baz,
Unless you are a pro decorater think twice. Tried it myself and made a complete hash and replaced the door (B&Q £15) have you tried gloss rollers?

Hi Willa,

Tnx for your reply. I'm not a professional decorator but I have taken on some largish jobs in my time. I don't really want to have to replace the door after messing it all up though. I've never tried to use a roller with gloss paint, is it a particular type of roller? And are they readily available, B&Q etc?

Cheers,

Baz :rolleyes:

Yeh id go for the short pile rollers too..or a standard radiator roller (making sure you have used it in other paints first or youl end up with loads of fluff)

Paint a quarter of the door then lay it off with a brush....then the next quarter..or leave it as a rolled finish

Sponsored Links
Hi Zampa,

Well the roller it is then. I'll have a look next week and see if I can pick one up.

Tnx for your comments.

Baz

Hi Guys,

Well, many thanks for the advice. I tried the gloss rollers and i'm very impressed with the results. Also the speed at which the job was completed, several doors in about half an hour!! WOW.

Flush doors.........no probs.....bring em on. ;)

Cheers,

Baz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back