Thin Coat of paint on doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have internal doors originally factory finished dark brown.

The previous owner painted them white and has done a good job in preserving the 'grain' on te door.

I am worried about repainting them, as gloss paint can be gluppy and thick. I don't want to put a thick coat of paint.

How can I put on a thin coat of paint?

Should I break the rules and use water-based silk paint on wood?

Sponsored Links
paints aimed at the DIY market are often formulated quite thick because it is said that amateurs find them easier to apply.

You will probably find a Trade paint suits you better. If necessary you can thin it by a tiny amount.

paints aimed at the DIY market are often formulated quite thick because it is said that amateurs find them easier to apply.

You will probably find a Trade paint suits you better. If necessary you can thin it by a tiny amount.

I thought it was the other way round...?

you might be thinking of cheap value-brand emulsion, which is mostly water

Sponsored Links
Thx.

I found have the Dulux non-drip gloss more thick then the Dulux Liquid professional. But even with that looked too thick to me. Is the Trade one even thinner?

Also, what should one use to thin the Gloss paints. Is it 'white spirits' or 'turpentine'?

True turpentine is distilled from tree resin, and only used by artists.

White spirit is turps substitute, same thing, used for oil paints but not for water paints.

Non drip paint is especially made to be thixotropic thick, so it doesn't drip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back