Old Garage Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have attempted to paint our old wooden garage door. It was originally painted in a white gloss. I've Lightly sanded the door down and have put 2 coats of a dark brown gloss.

Most of it looks really good but there are some areas (where the wood isn't so great, cracks etc.) where it looks like the colour in the gloss has separated, ie it's light red not brown???

I Have tried adding another coat to these areas but it doesn't seem to be taking the paint and keeps going red???

Any ideas what i should do?

Sponsored Links
Applying a liquid gloss onto an existing gloss finish is not really a good idea.

There is a possibility that your newly applied glosswork has crazed, give the door a good rub down and apply the appropiate filler to the cracks, sand and undercoat before you gloss.

Dec.

Sponsored Links
Most dark colours will use a standard light grey or dark grey undercoat. However you can get the undercoat mixed in the exact colour you are using if you want too. Its always better to rub down first ad apply a coat of undercoat before the gloss as the Dec says.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back