Painting woodgrain doors with Waterbased paint when originally painted with Oil based paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have Wood grained internal doors that were painted with Oil based paint eight years ago. I am now starting to repaint everywhere bit by bit with water based gloss. I don't want to lose the wood grained effect by sanding the doors so is there a way of retaining the wood grained effect once repainted?

Sponsored Links
You can use this stuff and a rag.

opps - Ok thanks, I will get some and try it on somewhere that's not visible before I let loose on the doors. Any tips other than using a rag?

You need to make sure that you remove any residue after. It is just a mild abrasive but sufficient to "key" the paint.

Sponsored Links
Wear disposable gloves to prevent any chemicals getting on your hands.

Here is a copy of the COSHH sheet. Item 7 on page 2 says not to get it on your skin. Number 5 on how to extinguish it if there is a fire. Pretty basic stuff, so I'm not trying to scare you. I've just seen too many incidents when people don't research what chemicals they may be using. As with the vast majority of stuff used by the public, it seems pretty harmless so long as you follow the instructions.

Thanks for the advice, I will certainly be making the correct preparations and using the relevant PPE when I come to start the project! Cheers Helen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back